The Big Picture

A person collects grain at a food distribution operated by the NGO CARE, four kilometres outside the village of Dannou. © UNICEF/NYHQ2010-2820/Frederic Sautereau

The many dimensions of poverty 

Usually poverty is thought to be lack of income - for example, a person is considered poor if his/her income is less than $1.25 a day. However, poverty is much more than simply the lack of income. Children living in poverty experience a lack of the material, spiritual, and emotional resources they need to survive, develop and thrive. A certain income does not necessarily mean that a household has all it needs to provide what a child needs for a good start in life. That is why it is important to focus on multidimensional child poverty measures that look beyond income and focus on whether children face deprivations to a range of their basic rights such as health, education, information, nutrition, shelter, water and sanitation.

When children are deprived of these rights in the first years of their life, it can limit their potential for physical, intellectual and emotional development. In turn, many children grow up without the opportunity to be healthy and educated and to feel safe and confident.

Causes of Poverty 

Poverty is a very complex issue that has many causes. One can think about it at the individual or country level. At the individual level, if someone does not have the skills or health or the opportunity to secure a decent paying job that can guarantee their basic needs, he/she will likely fall into poverty—or never get out of it to begin with. A sad reality of poverty is that it can easily be transmitted from one generation to the next. Poverty in childhood is a root cause of poverty in adulthood: Impoverished children often grow up to be impoverished parents who in turn bring up their own children in poverty. Thus, poverty can breed poverty, forming a vicious cycle. You can imagine then the consequences for a country and its people. If the population is undernourished, unhealthy, and has no education, it will be very hard for that economy to grow.

At the country level, there are also many complex causes of poverty. At one point all societies were poor. Through technological innovations that favored faster, cheaper, more efficient and bigger scale production of goods, as well as medical innovations that improved lives, some countries have been able to escape poverty. Yet, many are “trapped” in poverty due to many reasons like conflicts and wars, bad geography, bad governance, and not having access to the global market.

Global study on child poverty and disparities 

To understand how and where children are experiencing poverty, UNICEF conducts a Global Study on Child Poverty and Disparities in over 50 countries around the world. In many of these country studies young people are asked to share their experiences growing up poor. For example the Bhutan child poverty study shares with us the experience of a 14 year old boy living in poverty: “When I was about seven, I was in the village looking after the cattle. Those were the most difficult parts of my life. I had to walk in the forests without any slippers looking after the cattle. My father always promised me that he would send me to school, but he never did that. When he got a work … he even bought me school uniform to get admitted in school, but by that time I was considered too old for the school.”

Tourism great wonder

TOURISM My most interesting topic was absolutely tourism. It was the topic I enjoyed and caugh...

Series of Hunger VS TV series in Ramadan

Food is the dream of of some people and it's the least available thing for them. Some people wish...

THE DREAM OF A LOST CHILD

Home sweet home says the lost child, Who will take me in, he wonders lost in thoughts, Seeing comfort all around him, but has none Seeing men waste there lots But none to his side, Tears rolls down from his cheeks for pain of hunger O lord he cries just take me home, But...

Global Survey on Youth

This is an open invitation to the youth of the world. Being a youth activist from Sri Lanka, I have always been passionate about contemporary issues faced by youth. In view of this I took part as a delegate at World Conference on Youth 2014, where I was able to get in touch with youth acti...

Don't Abuse Me! Use Me!

A Child is a person below the legal age of 18 years, as stipulated by the laws of Zambia. By virtue of been human children are entitled to rights which are known as child rights. It is unfortunate that despite Zambia been a signatory to the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Ch...

The Million Dollar Question

To me, the image that immediately accompanies the word ‘millionaire’ is that scene in a Duck T...

Two Sides of an Argument: Minimum Wage

Is a Minimum Wage Law Beneficial or Detrimental to a Country’s Economy and Citizens? Minimum...

Goddess

This video for the song 'Goddess' by up and coming US artist BANKS was inspired by UNICEF's work o...

Vulnerable Children

Vulnerable children have been disadvantaged in many areas. The strategy that can be used to improve the performance of these children in schools are stated as follows: (1) Subjects where they are not doing well must be identified and helped by both parents, teachers, and the community....

Girl Child

COULD THIS BE TRUE...!! Too much emphasis on the Girl Child makes her more vulnerable to danger.