The Big Picture

A person collects grain at a food distribution operated by the NGO CARE, four kilometres outside the village of Dannou. © UNICEF/NYHQ2010-2820/Frederic Sautereau

The many dimensions of poverty 

Usually poverty is thought to be lack of income - for example, a person is considered poor if his/her income is less than $1.25 a day. However, poverty is much more than simply the lack of income. Children living in poverty experience a lack of the material, spiritual, and emotional resources they need to survive, develop and thrive. A certain income does not necessarily mean that a household has all it needs to provide what a child needs for a good start in life. That is why it is important to focus on multidimensional child poverty measures that look beyond income and focus on whether children face deprivations to a range of their basic rights such as health, education, information, nutrition, shelter, water and sanitation.

When children are deprived of these rights in the first years of their life, it can limit their potential for physical, intellectual and emotional development. In turn, many children grow up without the opportunity to be healthy and educated and to feel safe and confident.

Causes of Poverty 

Poverty is a very complex issue that has many causes. One can think about it at the individual or country level. At the individual level, if someone does not have the skills or health or the opportunity to secure a decent paying job that can guarantee their basic needs, he/she will likely fall into poverty—or never get out of it to begin with. A sad reality of poverty is that it can easily be transmitted from one generation to the next. Poverty in childhood is a root cause of poverty in adulthood: Impoverished children often grow up to be impoverished parents who in turn bring up their own children in poverty. Thus, poverty can breed poverty, forming a vicious cycle. You can imagine then the consequences for a country and its people. If the population is undernourished, unhealthy, and has no education, it will be very hard for that economy to grow.

At the country level, there are also many complex causes of poverty. At one point all societies were poor. Through technological innovations that favored faster, cheaper, more efficient and bigger scale production of goods, as well as medical innovations that improved lives, some countries have been able to escape poverty. Yet, many are “trapped” in poverty due to many reasons like conflicts and wars, bad geography, bad governance, and not having access to the global market.

Global study on child poverty and disparities 

To understand how and where children are experiencing poverty, UNICEF conducts a Global Study on Child Poverty and Disparities in over 50 countries around the world. In many of these country studies young people are asked to share their experiences growing up poor. For example the Bhutan child poverty study shares with us the experience of a 14 year old boy living in poverty: “When I was about seven, I was in the village looking after the cattle. Those were the most difficult parts of my life. I had to walk in the forests without any slippers looking after the cattle. My father always promised me that he would send me to school, but he never did that. When he got a work … he even bought me school uniform to get admitted in school, but by that time I was considered too old for the school.”

A week to remember ...

Only one week that we’ve been in Nepal but it seems like we’ve been here for a month! I think...

ENERGY is a HUMAN RIGHT!

When it comes to discussions on human rights, everyone focuses on the right to life, right to clot...

Decreasing rice production in Kerala

Though Kerala has 100% literacy rate, apt climatic conditions like abundant water and fertile soil...

India - A step forward to eradicate hunger

India has the world’s largest subsidized food scheme which provides affordable food to nearly th...

Sahariyas: a story of hope or despair??

‘Sahariyas’ is a native tribe of the state, Madhya Pradesh. This tribe also resides in Shivpur...

The world today is definitely not a paradise. Hunger, abuse, poverty, pollution...

Source: http://rdd.me/mcynxalo

How to help change the world!

Is this how we actually meet our meat?

Nowadays we all think that there is a supply deficiency of food stocks, but surprisingly, and acco...

COMMUNITY GRAIN BANKING - Changing the lives of farmers

It is a well-known fact that food is the most basic necessity for survival. Then, come the other n...

Typhoon Haiyan is one of the deadliest natural disasters to hit the Philippines!

Source: http://rdd.me/ehngr0is

Why are there still natural disasters?

The Philippines has suffered from an inexhaustible number of deadly typhoons, earthquakes, volcano eruptions and other natural disasters. This is due to its location along the Ring of Fire, or typhoon belt – a large Pacific Ocean region where many of Earth’s volcanic eruptions and earthq...

Draining impacts within the last 40 years

When one hears the word ‘drought’ he/she immediately thinks of intolerable heat and lack of water. The effects of drought are much worse than what appears in any of our minds. Droughts have a HUGE impact on the resources we need to stay alive (like water and food). The drought that M...