The Big Picture

A person collects grain at a food distribution operated by the NGO CARE, four kilometres outside the village of Dannou. © UNICEF/NYHQ2010-2820/Frederic Sautereau

The many dimensions of poverty 

Usually poverty is thought to be lack of income - for example, a person is considered poor if his/her income is less than $1.25 a day. However, poverty is much more than simply the lack of income. Children living in poverty experience a lack of the material, spiritual, and emotional resources they need to survive, develop and thrive. A certain income does not necessarily mean that a household has all it needs to provide what a child needs for a good start in life. That is why it is important to focus on multidimensional child poverty measures that look beyond income and focus on whether children face deprivations to a range of their basic rights such as health, education, information, nutrition, shelter, water and sanitation.

When children are deprived of these rights in the first years of their life, it can limit their potential for physical, intellectual and emotional development. In turn, many children grow up without the opportunity to be healthy and educated and to feel safe and confident.

Causes of Poverty 

Poverty is a very complex issue that has many causes. One can think about it at the individual or country level. At the individual level, if someone does not have the skills or health or the opportunity to secure a decent paying job that can guarantee their basic needs, he/she will likely fall into poverty—or never get out of it to begin with. A sad reality of poverty is that it can easily be transmitted from one generation to the next. Poverty in childhood is a root cause of poverty in adulthood: Impoverished children often grow up to be impoverished parents who in turn bring up their own children in poverty. Thus, poverty can breed poverty, forming a vicious cycle. You can imagine then the consequences for a country and its people. If the population is undernourished, unhealthy, and has no education, it will be very hard for that economy to grow.

At the country level, there are also many complex causes of poverty. At one point all societies were poor. Through technological innovations that favored faster, cheaper, more efficient and bigger scale production of goods, as well as medical innovations that improved lives, some countries have been able to escape poverty. Yet, many are “trapped” in poverty due to many reasons like conflicts and wars, bad geography, bad governance, and not having access to the global market.

Global study on child poverty and disparities 

To understand how and where children are experiencing poverty, UNICEF conducts a Global Study on Child Poverty and Disparities in over 50 countries around the world. In many of these country studies young people are asked to share their experiences growing up poor. For example the Bhutan child poverty study shares with us the experience of a 14 year old boy living in poverty: “When I was about seven, I was in the village looking after the cattle. Those were the most difficult parts of my life. I had to walk in the forests without any slippers looking after the cattle. My father always promised me that he would send me to school, but he never did that. When he got a work … he even bought me school uniform to get admitted in school, but by that time I was considered too old for the school.”

Dignity

I saw him on my way back from college. A lean adolescent swaying back and forth as the tides of fear lolled him with a lullaby only he can hear. A small black coconut shell was seated next to him with a few coins and wisps of embarrassment in it. I peered into his eyes from where I stood and...

Paul Collier’s The Bottom Billion

If you are up for a classic that analyses critical issues in development policy and economics, you should read The Bottom Billion by Paul Collier. What stands out for me in the book are the relevance of some issues broached for the present, the elaborate development instruments-including...

"What will generations remember about youths of today?"

50 years ago our forefathers fought hard until Zambia gained her independence from British rule. T...

One Young World summit - We can learn from each other!

From the 15th October to the 18th October I was privileged to attend the one young world conferenc...

My Earth; My Responsibility

Earth is a beautiful living planet of the Universe as the common habitat of more than 7 billion human population & millions of species of biodiversity. Our Earth provides us with food, shelter & with most of our requirements. Despite unavoidable free services provided by earth to h...

International Day for Poverty Eradication: The Air We Daily Breathe.

17th October marks the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty. I take it that this day onl...

World Food Day 2014 and Family Farming

Some of you would really be surprised about the fact that nearly everyday is an international day...

Stop the mourns Ebola!

-As you make steps further, menacing to engulf the human race pitilessly, we plead: Kindly spare u...

Making Your Voice Count for slum Dwellers (World Habitat Day 2014 “V...

How to relate with Slum Dweller to get their stories. In line with the characteristics of slums shared you will discover that these areas are prone to claims by their owners and evacuations from such properties is inevitable without compensation or provision of an alternative location...

The United Nations designated every first Monday of October of every year as World Habitat Day. The purpose of World Habitat Day is to reflect on the state of our towns and cities, and on the basic right of all to adequate shelter and habitation. It is also intended to remind the world that...