The Big Picture

A person collects grain at a food distribution operated by the NGO CARE, four kilometres outside the village of Dannou. © UNICEF/NYHQ2010-2820/Frederic Sautereau

The many dimensions of poverty 

Usually poverty is thought to be lack of income - for example, a person is considered poor if his/her income is less than $1.25 a day. However, poverty is much more than simply the lack of income. Children living in poverty experience a lack of the material, spiritual, and emotional resources they need to survive, develop and thrive. A certain income does not necessarily mean that a household has all it needs to provide what a child needs for a good start in life. That is why it is important to focus on multidimensional child poverty measures that look beyond income and focus on whether children face deprivations to a range of their basic rights such as health, education, information, nutrition, shelter, water and sanitation.

When children are deprived of these rights in the first years of their life, it can limit their potential for physical, intellectual and emotional development. In turn, many children grow up without the opportunity to be healthy and educated and to feel safe and confident.

Causes of Poverty 

Poverty is a very complex issue that has many causes. One can think about it at the individual or country level. At the individual level, if someone does not have the skills or health or the opportunity to secure a decent paying job that can guarantee their basic needs, he/she will likely fall into poverty—or never get out of it to begin with. A sad reality of poverty is that it can easily be transmitted from one generation to the next. Poverty in childhood is a root cause of poverty in adulthood: Impoverished children often grow up to be impoverished parents who in turn bring up their own children in poverty. Thus, poverty can breed poverty, forming a vicious cycle. You can imagine then the consequences for a country and its people. If the population is undernourished, unhealthy, and has no education, it will be very hard for that economy to grow.

At the country level, there are also many complex causes of poverty. At one point all societies were poor. Through technological innovations that favored faster, cheaper, more efficient and bigger scale production of goods, as well as medical innovations that improved lives, some countries have been able to escape poverty. Yet, many are “trapped” in poverty due to many reasons like conflicts and wars, bad geography, bad governance, and not having access to the global market.

Global study on child poverty and disparities 

To understand how and where children are experiencing poverty, UNICEF conducts a Global Study on Child Poverty and Disparities in over 50 countries around the world. In many of these country studies young people are asked to share their experiences growing up poor. For example the Bhutan child poverty study shares with us the experience of a 14 year old boy living in poverty: “When I was about seven, I was in the village looking after the cattle. Those were the most difficult parts of my life. I had to walk in the forests without any slippers looking after the cattle. My father always promised me that he would send me to school, but he never did that. When he got a work … he even bought me school uniform to get admitted in school, but by that time I was considered too old for the school.”

The priest of the slum dwellers of Nairobi

Korogocho is a sprawling slum in Nairobi; the fourth largest after Kibera, Mathare and Mukuru kwa...

Who shall finally bridge the development gap In Kenya?

50 years after independence some counties in Kenya are marginalized and far from mainstream development. Article 204 of the Kenyan constitution provides for an equalization fund of 0.5% of the national budget to cover service provision and infrastructure development in marginalized areas. Ho...

Women of my country

With all of our differences, we, Tunisian women are proud to come from different backgrounds. Yet,...

Positive Deviance

Positive Deviance is based on the observation that in every community there are certain individual...

Discussion/Debate on Plan of Action UNSLCD 2014

Fellow Student Leaders, We’ve finally concluded our work on the Plan of Action. The ideas an...

Let's Get Some Information on Bangladesh!

Bangladesh faces high poverty and child undernutrition rates, which are exacerbated by frequent na...

NoyPi

I took these photos last year on January 16. These photos were included for my photo-documentary...

Child labour in Bangladesh! Let's fight back!

Yesterday I was surfing the net about child labour in Bangladesh! There I found something interestin...

A Day in 100 Snaps (Photo Essay on Child Labor in Bangladesh)

Through this video Umme Mahbuba has tried to visualize a regular day of a domestic child worker in B...

There is so much pegged on 2015

I recently realized how significant the year 2015 will be for this world. There is so much pegged...