#Technology

Massive technological innovation on an unprecedented scale is probably one of the key decisive developments of the past decades. To highlight the importance of this development, many speak of a “technological revolution”, making reference to the the industrial revolution, which abruptly changed the course of history.

Technological innovation occurs on a variety of different levels and with different purposes. Sadly enough, a lot of technological innovation is attributed to military research - high-tech weapons systems are a big market. A positive side effect of this are so called “spin-offs”, military inventions that are turned into civilian goods - implantable hearing aids, rescue drones, or the Internet are just a few examples.

But technological innovation also happens in other sectors, such as medicine, transport, communication and IT. For young people, the vast penetration of mobile phones and increased access to the Internet is certainly one of the most relevant technological developments today. An internet connection - fixed or mobile - allows anybody to access any type of information almost instantaneously and connects people from all corners of the world. Of course, this has a tremendous impact on how we communicate with each other - emails, social media platforms and video chats are the new mail, faxes and telephones.

Technological innovation can greatly contribute to the economic, social and political development of countries. Access to the Internet empowers everyone - to young people it offers increased opportunities to participate in community life and make their voices heard, be it via online tutorials, job portals or social media campaigns. Yet, in 2015 only 40% of the world population have ever connected to the Internet. It’s our duty to push for affordable Internet access for everyone and raise awareness among peers on how to become responsible digital citizens.

Researching issues connected to technology, you might want to check out these resources:

UN Conference on Trade and Development - Science and Technology for Development

International Telecommunication Union - Children and Youth

Brookings - Center for Technology Innovation

Voices of Youth - Citizens

Web Top Ten - Top 10 Tech News Sites

Holistic approach towards fashion

The Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that American households on an average, spend $1,700 a yea...

Bridging the STEM Skills Gap in Sri Lanka

As technological advances become an integral part of our factories and work-spaces, a strong backgro...

Gene editing: The cure of the future

Brian Madeux had Hunter’s syndrome, an inherited, rare genetic disorder caused by a missing or malfu...

How Instagram made a big hole in my life

Nowadays, we live with the swift flow of technology. Technology is growing rapidly, innovation is en...

Creativity is success

It's about the balmy day with scorching sun rays. I was on my way to my destination and deep in thou...

Censors***

What is censorship and is it really as bad as it’s connotation? Language is a beautiful tool we use...

Youth empowerment

I dedicate this article to the youth of present day! I know its difficult, burdensome and demanding,...

Finding my oasis in the desert of life

Finding myself in Life's WildernessI try to look for a starting pointBut I find noneI keep walking o...

Can technology help us in school?

Technology can help students to learn and study easier and in more accessible ways. Technology is he...

Is Using Technology in School Effective?

Technology has taken over our world in the past several years and it has really had a great impact on humanity. It helps people do things that otherwise look impossible to attain. It also makes work and processes easier and faster which helps towards the economic success of different nations. People...