#Violence

Violence takes place when someone uses their strength or their position of power to hurt someone else intentionally, not by accident. There are many ways to hurt someone, such as causing or threatening to cause physical, mental or emotional harm.

Violence can be very open and evident, such as warfare on a battlefield, a conflict between rivaling street gangs or a brawl on a schoolyard. On the other hand, violence also occurs hidden and on a more subliminal level. Violence against women and children, for example, often takes place behind closed doors and includes, besides evident physical violence, sexual abuse, intimidation, controlling and neglect.

Young people around the world are affected by all kinds of violence, open and hidden, evident and subliminal. Young people can be the victims of violence, as well as the perpetrators. Besides the examples mentioned above, bullying has emerged as a major concern for youth. Bullying can be witnessed in schools, but also in after-school hangouts or on social media platforms, far away from the eyes of parents and teachers.

Marginalized groups often turn out to be the first victims of violence, be it due to race, religion, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, age or economic status. Young people worldwide are at the forefront when it comes to protecting vulnerable groups and leading nonviolent protests. That means besides being victims or perpetrators, young people as often are changemakers, advocates and activists for peace. Let’s connect, collaborate and mobilize to create the biggest youth movement for peace and justice the world has ever seen!

Researching issues connected to violence, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations - Peace and Security

World Health Organization - Youth Violence

UN Women - Ending Violence Against Women

United Nations Children’s Fund -End Violence Against Children

The Istanbul Convention – let’s get it ratified and eliminate viol...

The levels of violence against women and girls worldwide is terrifying. In 1993, the UN provided a...

La Luciole, Our Hope

Like many regions in Africa, Bouaflé, my hometown, felt the unforgiving periods of the Ivorian Ci...

The Harsh Reality of Child Soldiers

Child soldiers are children who are under 18 and used for military purposes. Often times, children are abducted and then turned into child soldiers. These children can have a variety of duties such as actually fighting in the wars and conflicts, acting as suicide bombers, cooks, porters, mes...

Living in One of the World’s Scariest Neighborhoods

This blog post is written by a 21 year old, living in a conflict-ridden city in Syria The...

The Pain Shared

Intermittent secretive lines to gaze between Felt but forever to escape my words Adamantly t...

Human dignity and freedom in a multi-cultural, multi-religious world

A few days ago, I had to submit an assignment - an essay- on how the correct understanding of a hu...

Trivial pursuits

Social justice Living for the weekend when you don't have to go to school Living for the moment hoping you'll survive till tomorrow Going over to friends houses who have funny tasting water Walking for hours to get fresh water Fighting with friends over petty things, that you loo...

Unheard Voices of Children

Last year, I worked as a researcher for a National Baseline Study on Violence Against Children (NB...

What is the Cost of Peace?

It seems sarcastic and mandatory enough to look into the pages of history when it comes to the topic which stands out ignored enough, Peace. With a million parchments soaked in thick red and tattered with weapons, the price of peace turns out to be too strong and yet too easy to be paid. The...

Racism in the USA

Our country has been racist since the beginning of time - that's what I think about racism in America and around the globe. Anywhere you go these days you may encounter some type of racism. A person that you know may come to you and make a racial comment directly in your face and laugh. Th...