#Violence

Violence takes place when someone uses their strength or their position of power to hurt someone else intentionally, not by accident. There are many ways to hurt someone, such as causing or threatening to cause physical, mental or emotional harm.

Violence can be very open and evident, such as warfare on a battlefield, a conflict between rivaling street gangs or a brawl on a schoolyard. On the other hand, violence also occurs hidden and on a more subliminal level. Violence against women and children, for example, often takes place behind closed doors and includes, besides evident physical violence, sexual abuse, intimidation, controlling and neglect.

Young people around the world are affected by all kinds of violence, open and hidden, evident and subliminal. Young people can be the victims of violence, as well as the perpetrators. Besides the examples mentioned above, bullying has emerged as a major concern for youth. Bullying can be witnessed in schools, but also in after-school hangouts or on social media platforms, far away from the eyes of parents and teachers.

Marginalized groups often turn out to be the first victims of violence, be it due to race, religion, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, age or economic status. Young people worldwide are at the forefront when it comes to protecting vulnerable groups and leading nonviolent protests. That means besides being victims or perpetrators, young people as often are changemakers, advocates and activists for peace. Let’s connect, collaborate and mobilize to create the biggest youth movement for peace and justice the world has ever seen!

Researching issues connected to violence, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations - Peace and Security

World Health Organization - Youth Violence

UN Women - Ending Violence Against Women

United Nations Children’s Fund -End Violence Against Children

A mine-free world: Detonating the safety vision of demining

We step foot outside of our homes, every day, thinking we are returning back to our comfortable ambi...

We can all be heroes

Jason never felt safe in school. For all the years he spent reading, writing and learning, not for a...

Child soldiers: An effect of conflict in society

"Human rights law declare 18 as the minimum legal age of recruitment and use of children in hostilit...

Look at the mirror and you'll see the world

Wish I could go out in this moonless night and take a walk to my grandmother's house...The distance...

Hers

Who sought her agonybehind her ‘sweet' smile?Who sought her fearof devils who cravedto eat her freed...

Humanity in war

In a realistic word, we can have two choices; peace or war. But even in times of peace, weapons are...

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights

History teaches humans many verities. We have learned and discovered lots of lessons from the world...

The day I lost my friend

There are some experiences that no matter how much time passes, we simply cannot get out of our mind...

Somalia can learn from Rwanda: A personal odyssey

Though my main mission was to attend the Youth Connekt Africa Summit in Kigali, I had a desire to se...

Canada is developing its feminist international assistance policy

Interesting enough, Canada has shocked the international community once more, viewing its developmen...