#Violence

Violence takes place when someone uses their strength or their position of power to hurt someone else intentionally, not by accident. There are many ways to hurt someone, such as causing or threatening to cause physical, mental or emotional harm.

Violence can be very open and evident, such as warfare on a battlefield, a conflict between rivaling street gangs or a brawl on a schoolyard. On the other hand, violence also occurs hidden and on a more subliminal level. Violence against women and children, for example, often takes place behind closed doors and includes, besides evident physical violence, sexual abuse, intimidation, controlling and neglect.

Young people around the world are affected by all kinds of violence, open and hidden, evident and subliminal. Young people can be the victims of violence, as well as the perpetrators. Besides the examples mentioned above, bullying has emerged as a major concern for youth. Bullying can be witnessed in schools, but also in after-school hangouts or on social media platforms, far away from the eyes of parents and teachers.

Marginalized groups often turn out to be the first victims of violence, be it due to race, religion, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, age or economic status. Young people worldwide are at the forefront when it comes to protecting vulnerable groups and leading nonviolent protests. That means besides being victims or perpetrators, young people as often are changemakers, advocates and activists for peace. Let’s connect, collaborate and mobilize to create the biggest youth movement for peace and justice the world has ever seen!

Researching issues connected to violence, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations - Peace and Security

World Health Organization - Youth Violence

UN Women - Ending Violence Against Women

United Nations Children’s Fund -End Violence Against Children

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights

History teaches humans many verities. We have learned and discovered lots of lessons from the world...

The day I lost my friend

There are some experiences that no matter how much time passes, we simply cannot get out of our mind...

Somalia can learn from Rwanda: A personal odyssey

Though my main mission was to attend the Youth Connekt Africa Summit in Kigali, I had a desire to se...

Canada is developing its feminist international assistance policy

Interesting enough, Canada has shocked the international community once more, viewing its developmen...

Children of war

Life has become a burden for many children around the world, when they wake up in the morning they a...

A letter about the ¨Migration Crisis¨ from a Honduran girl

There are ways to solve social/political problems. It's understandable that countries may not react...

Inter-Korean Relations

I am an ordinary high school student in the Republic of Korea.I think the divided country of Korea h...

A smile from Yemen

While I was walking back home recently, I came across Hanadi, a 12-year-old girl, who can always be...

Is fighting for change worth it?

Why are you here?If you're reading this, I will safely assume that you are here for a reason along t...

The Comfort in the Uncomfortable

It was the most mundane thing that got my mind racing the other day: A question in my psychology tex...