#Violence

Violence takes place when someone uses their strength or their position of power to hurt someone else intentionally, not by accident. There are many ways to hurt someone, such as causing or threatening to cause physical, mental or emotional harm.

Violence can be very open and evident, such as warfare on a battlefield, a conflict between rivaling street gangs or a brawl on a schoolyard. On the other hand, violence also occurs hidden and on a more subliminal level. Violence against women and children, for example, often takes place behind closed doors and includes, besides evident physical violence, sexual abuse, intimidation, controlling and neglect.

Young people around the world are affected by all kinds of violence, open and hidden, evident and subliminal. Young people can be the victims of violence, as well as the perpetrators. Besides the examples mentioned above, bullying has emerged as a major concern for youth. Bullying can be witnessed in schools, but also in after-school hangouts or on social media platforms, far away from the eyes of parents and teachers.

Marginalized groups often turn out to be the first victims of violence, be it due to race, religion, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, age or economic status. Young people worldwide are at the forefront when it comes to protecting vulnerable groups and leading nonviolent protests. That means besides being victims or perpetrators, young people as often are changemakers, advocates and activists for peace. Let’s connect, collaborate and mobilize to create the biggest youth movement for peace and justice the world has ever seen!

Researching issues connected to violence, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations - Peace and Security

World Health Organization - Youth Violence

UN Women - Ending Violence Against Women

United Nations Children’s Fund -End Violence Against Children

Homesick-Less

Dear family, To a father, a mother and a younger sister. To papa, maa and Jiya. It’...

There are so many things that I can't see

When I'm at work, it all feels so strange and far away. The fact that every where there are people...

Bystander: When She Suffers....

She was beaten and slapped, For 'Dowry',by her 'prestigious' husband, And she shouted for he...

Cairo Life

Cairo... either you love it or you hate it. For some it's an ugly city. Yes, it really is an old,...

A Treasure to Share With You

Hey everyone! It is always a joy to share with you people what I think, feel, create... And of cou...

To My Stars

To My Stars - Each and Every One of You - A Message using Valentines Day an excuse - #LoveWins eve...

Unnoticed Neighbors

Today, almost every corner of the planet is home to someone. Wherever you go to live, most probabl...

What Have We Done?

What can I do to make a difference? What can I do to change perceptions? What can I do to get othe...

Reaching out Somaliland Youth on Sustainability

My trip to Hargeisa University – Somaliland was an eye-opening experience in many ways. On top o...

Our world and helping

Everybody needs help. Everybody wants to help. Everybody knows to help. But there's a little difference between Knowing, wanting and needing. And when difference between this three will become less? Everybody who needs help will be helped by those who want to help and t...