#Violence

Violence takes place when someone uses their strength or their position of power to hurt someone else intentionally, not by accident. There are many ways to hurt someone, such as causing or threatening to cause physical, mental or emotional harm.

Violence can be very open and evident, such as warfare on a battlefield, a conflict between rivaling street gangs or a brawl on a schoolyard. On the other hand, violence also occurs hidden and on a more subliminal level. Violence against women and children, for example, often takes place behind closed doors and includes, besides evident physical violence, sexual abuse, intimidation, controlling and neglect.

Young people around the world are affected by all kinds of violence, open and hidden, evident and subliminal. Young people can be the victims of violence, as well as the perpetrators. Besides the examples mentioned above, bullying has emerged as a major concern for youth. Bullying can be witnessed in schools, but also in after-school hangouts or on social media platforms, far away from the eyes of parents and teachers.

Marginalized groups often turn out to be the first victims of violence, be it due to race, religion, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, age or economic status. Young people worldwide are at the forefront when it comes to protecting vulnerable groups and leading nonviolent protests. That means besides being victims or perpetrators, young people as often are changemakers, advocates and activists for peace. Let’s connect, collaborate and mobilize to create the biggest youth movement for peace and justice the world has ever seen!

Researching issues connected to violence, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations - Peace and Security

World Health Organization - Youth Violence

UN Women - Ending Violence Against Women

United Nations Children’s Fund -End Violence Against Children

Rights and Freedoms: Pause, Appreciate, and Don't Take Them for Grante...

Though I was born in the United States, I come from a family where every single person is a war refu...

At the Almost-End of Our Humanity

I almost couldn't find anything to say, because we are in a place where it feels like there is nothi...

Ethics of Science and Technology

It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity. -Albert Einstein On...

A Song for Humanity

What drives me nuts is the fact that people have so much capacity for kindness but choose to ignore or suppress it in fear of being hurt. If we try just a little bit to practice kindness in our every day actions and look at life at least one degree through a love lens, I truly believe the world can...

Clothes aren't consent

Oh, I'm sorry I didn't realize that the new form of consent was the height of my skirt or the fit of my shirt. I don't get it – why does a short skirt turn into "she wanted it" which turns into consent which makes it okay? Or the fact that you can see my bra turns into "she was begging for it" whi...

Thou shalt not!

I am a morning person. It is a rare breed in my part of the world. Yet, I feel stronger and more emp...

I am a misfit in this world!

In Feb 2017, I completed my Bachelor Degree. Despite the fact that I have graduated with flying colo...

Don’t choke yourself with dark thoughts

Over here in the East how we handle life’s challenges hasn't exactly been the centre of buzz as...

The Most Deadly Trip

The tragedy of immigration has been going on since the Somali state collapsed two decades ago. As...

Time Saves Lives!

We can take some minutes and think of how many phrases we use daily to describe time,p.e. "Be in t...