#Violence

Violence takes place when someone uses their strength or their position of power to hurt someone else intentionally, not by accident. There are many ways to hurt someone, such as causing or threatening to cause physical, mental or emotional harm.

Violence can be very open and evident, such as warfare on a battlefield, a conflict between rivaling street gangs or a brawl on a schoolyard. On the other hand, violence also occurs hidden and on a more subliminal level. Violence against women and children, for example, often takes place behind closed doors and includes, besides evident physical violence, sexual abuse, intimidation, controlling and neglect.

Young people around the world are affected by all kinds of violence, open and hidden, evident and subliminal. Young people can be the victims of violence, as well as the perpetrators. Besides the examples mentioned above, bullying has emerged as a major concern for youth. Bullying can be witnessed in schools, but also in after-school hangouts or on social media platforms, far away from the eyes of parents and teachers.

Marginalized groups often turn out to be the first victims of violence, be it due to race, religion, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, age or economic status. Young people worldwide are at the forefront when it comes to protecting vulnerable groups and leading nonviolent protests. That means besides being victims or perpetrators, young people as often are changemakers, advocates and activists for peace. Let’s connect, collaborate and mobilize to create the biggest youth movement for peace and justice the world has ever seen!

Researching issues connected to violence, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations - Peace and Security

World Health Organization - Youth Violence

UN Women - Ending Violence Against Women

United Nations Children’s Fund -End Violence Against Children

The greener side of blessings.

It's shameful, the way we treat each other, based on our ignorant acceptance of people, depending on beliefs and experiences we have been fed and have lived. How we perceive people, downgrade them, and bully them. I know that it's cliché to hear that life is too short, or some people ha...

Gathering hope for an intangible future

A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to attend Jusoor 2016 bootcamp to learn more about entrepren...

Torn: Being a Cuban-American in a Time of Strain

When I was three months old, my mother nestled me in her arms and took me on an hour plane ride to...

How peaceful is the world?

When we think about global conflicts we often only think about international wars. We do not neces...

Modern slavery is bigger than imagined

Modern slavery is a very real and tragic issue that has and is destroying the lives of millions of...

We Need to be United

I was recently reading a quote shared by the World Food Programme (WFP) of Nelson Mandela - "It is in your hands to create a better world for all who live in it ". The world and the youngsters i.e. we, need to understand that the world is a very small place to live if we live with peace and...

Things That Broke, Things That Die

This is the story of a heartbreak. My heartbreak, our heartbreak. Next week I am going to attend...

We read wars

We do not read poetry anymore, We read wars, The ugliest of the prevalent thoughts ther...

Nobody wants to see the truth

In a society that looks down on those who raise their voices against certain traditional practices, only a few manage to put up a fight, because sometimes tradition is a hard thing to fight against. Changing someone’s mentality is not possible in a blink of an eye. It requires time, but th...

We Are All Immigrants

We are all immigrants, don’t be ashamed. We all came from different lands and mountains. We esta...