#Violence

Violence takes place when someone uses their strength or their position of power to hurt someone else intentionally, not by accident. There are many ways to hurt someone, such as causing or threatening to cause physical, mental or emotional harm.

Violence can be very open and evident, such as warfare on a battlefield, a conflict between rivaling street gangs or a brawl on a schoolyard. On the other hand, violence also occurs hidden and on a more subliminal level. Violence against women and children, for example, often takes place behind closed doors and includes, besides evident physical violence, sexual abuse, intimidation, controlling and neglect.

Young people around the world are affected by all kinds of violence, open and hidden, evident and subliminal. Young people can be the victims of violence, as well as the perpetrators. Besides the examples mentioned above, bullying has emerged as a major concern for youth. Bullying can be witnessed in schools, but also in after-school hangouts or on social media platforms, far away from the eyes of parents and teachers.

Marginalized groups often turn out to be the first victims of violence, be it due to race, religion, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, age or economic status. Young people worldwide are at the forefront when it comes to protecting vulnerable groups and leading nonviolent protests. That means besides being victims or perpetrators, young people as often are changemakers, advocates and activists for peace. Let’s connect, collaborate and mobilize to create the biggest youth movement for peace and justice the world has ever seen!

Researching issues connected to violence, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations - Peace and Security

World Health Organization - Youth Violence

UN Women - Ending Violence Against Women

United Nations Children’s Fund -End Violence Against Children

Dear Future Leaders

This piece belongs to a three-part series written by Kelepi Baba, Monica Angulo, and Leah Davidson.D...

Rape is never the victim's fault

Dear people, there are a lot of things that you just don't understand.If rape was about how revealin...

Scared of Death?

There are plenty of ways to die. Enter Gary Hoy, an enigmatic and skilled lawyer. Having graduated a...

A decalogue for aspiring world changers (Refugee Day edition)

I think that all of you, people reading this post, want to change the world.It’s our human inner-sen...

Red thread

Justify your self-proclaimed superiority. Illustrate the sources of your higher dignity and help us identify the causes of their fewer rights. What intrinsic flaws does your purity see in them? Why would our artist put more value in you and let that be the cause of their suffering?I don’t believe in...

Renouncing our doubts

To become spring means to accept the risk of passing through cold winter days…To become presence mea...

From the Eyes of a Refugee

On November 11, 2013 my elder brother and I stood at the tarmac of the city’s airport under the swel...

Love

Dear Love,Maybe you’re actually asking why I thought to send a letter to you.I don’t think you’re used to receiving letters, however, you are receiving one now.I decided to write to you because I need to send a prayer to you. Yes, that’s my intention.Oh dear, please read carefully what I’m about to...

Human universe

This poem was inspired by Neil deGrasse Tyson's illuminating words: "the atoms in our body are trace...

Bee-ing Strong Together: One Love Manchester

Unfortunately, the news was nothing new.But being human, the terror possibly intended to be felt was...