#Violence

Violence takes place when someone uses their strength or their position of power to hurt someone else intentionally, not by accident. There are many ways to hurt someone, such as causing or threatening to cause physical, mental or emotional harm.

Violence can be very open and evident, such as warfare on a battlefield, a conflict between rivaling street gangs or a brawl on a schoolyard. On the other hand, violence also occurs hidden and on a more subliminal level. Violence against women and children, for example, often takes place behind closed doors and includes, besides evident physical violence, sexual abuse, intimidation, controlling and neglect.

Young people around the world are affected by all kinds of violence, open and hidden, evident and subliminal. Young people can be the victims of violence, as well as the perpetrators. Besides the examples mentioned above, bullying has emerged as a major concern for youth. Bullying can be witnessed in schools, but also in after-school hangouts or on social media platforms, far away from the eyes of parents and teachers.

Marginalized groups often turn out to be the first victims of violence, be it due to race, religion, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, age or economic status. Young people worldwide are at the forefront when it comes to protecting vulnerable groups and leading nonviolent protests. That means besides being victims or perpetrators, young people as often are changemakers, advocates and activists for peace. Let’s connect, collaborate and mobilize to create the biggest youth movement for peace and justice the world has ever seen!

Researching issues connected to violence, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations - Peace and Security

World Health Organization - Youth Violence

UN Women - Ending Violence Against Women

United Nations Children’s Fund -End Violence Against Children

The Power of Words

Words can heal but, sometimes, they can hurt too. In fact, the pain that words leave behind often go...

Hand In Hand

Hand in Hand,They stand around the globe,Only figures,Of a representation,Never really followed.A la...

Bully

Don't let them fuel you with rage, Don't let them take control over you, Don't give them the power to crush you, Don't allow them to be heard, Don't make them feel like their winning, Keep fighting, Come out, It's okay to be weak but never to silent, Reach out, You might be saving yourself and other...

The invisible war: The battle for refugee children’s mental health

Though their footing might be on more solid grounds, the rockiness of refugees’ journey's don’t end...

Going to School in a Refugee Camp

Every parent wishes to see their children going to school and getting a quality education. But hundr...

Sparing the Rod

The first time that I saw my friend cry was when she talked about her childhood. One afternoon, we w...

Acceptance Is the Evil

I grew up in a household where hitting or traumatizing a child as a way to discipline them was never...

Will Humanity Survive?

On the waves of hatred,I float, without any shore,As they are communal stores,Occupied by the Green...

The little boy

Sitting in my air conditioned room, scrolling through my Facebook news feed my eyes were caught by a...

Talking Much, Saying Little

From cellphones to laptops to cellphones that are also laptops, we’re more connected than any genera...