Fact Sheet

The broadest assessment of this statement is the data on physical violence compiled by the Innocenti Research Centre for the UN Secretary-General’s Study on Violence against Children (2006), which led to an estimate of between 500 million and 1.5 billion children experiencing violence annually. (Progress for Children 2009)

86 per cent of children 2–14 years old experience physical punishment and/ or psychological aggression. Two out of three children are subject to physical punishment. (Progress for Children 2009)

In 35 countries with available data, the percentage of mothers or caregivers who think physical punishment is necessary to raise a child is consistently lower than the percentage of children 2–14 years old who are actually subjected to such discipline. (Progress for Children 2009)

Data from 68 countries indicate that more than 50 per cent of girls and women 15–49 years old think that a husband is justified in hitting or beating his wife under certain circumstances. (Progress for Children 2009)

Children 15–17 years old in the worst forms of child labour, including hazardous work, or in household chores for 43 or more hours per week. (Progress for Children 2009)

The UN estimates the number of children associated with armed groups or armed forces at more than 250,000.28. (Progress for Children 2009)

83 per cent of children 2–14 years old experienced violent forms of discipline, and 60 per cent experienced physical punishment. (Progress for Children 2009)

International Day Of Peace.

September 21,1981 The United Nations General Assembly declares that on this day world peace is...

Hopes and Dreams

A seven billion voice, a seven billion hope and a seven billion dream. The number is big, the eart...

AN OPEN LETTER TO MR BOMBER MAN

To whom it may concern (with all due respect).... I have heard and read lots of shocking things abo...

Forgiving Terrorism

I grew up with a war. So did another 6 million Sri Lankan children of my generation. Just like mos...

Call for pictures - International Day of Peace. Support Central Africa...

This is a message from Baba Mahamat, francophone young blogger from CAR: CAR (Central African...

My participation in the ICGLR Heads of State Summit on promoting youth...

After being elected as one of the Ambassadors for the Great Lakes Region children’s Hope Forum i...

Bujumbura by Bus – A Long Walk To Peace!

The Great Lakes region has been the scene of recurring wars. It is important to show this long path...

Rehabilitation and Reintegration of children in Post Conflict Society

The changing nature of armed conflict has been characterized by the use of children as soldiers, and the reintegration of these children back into society has become a matter of primary concern for post-conflict countries seeking to achieve sustainable peace and security. While measures of r...

Is it controversial? - LGTB rights

"Dude that's so gay" When did phrases like this become an insult? Have you ever been called "faggo...