Fact Sheet

The broadest assessment of this statement is the data on physical violence compiled by the Innocenti Research Centre for the UN Secretary-General’s Study on Violence against Children (2006), which led to an estimate of between 500 million and 1.5 billion children experiencing violence annually. (Progress for Children 2009)

86 per cent of children 2–14 years old experience physical punishment and/ or psychological aggression. Two out of three children are subject to physical punishment. (Progress for Children 2009)

In 35 countries with available data, the percentage of mothers or caregivers who think physical punishment is necessary to raise a child is consistently lower than the percentage of children 2–14 years old who are actually subjected to such discipline. (Progress for Children 2009)

Data from 68 countries indicate that more than 50 per cent of girls and women 15–49 years old think that a husband is justified in hitting or beating his wife under certain circumstances. (Progress for Children 2009)

Children 15–17 years old in the worst forms of child labour, including hazardous work, or in household chores for 43 or more hours per week. (Progress for Children 2009)

The UN estimates the number of children associated with armed groups or armed forces at more than 250,000.28. (Progress for Children 2009)

83 per cent of children 2–14 years old experienced violent forms of discipline, and 60 per cent experienced physical punishment. (Progress for Children 2009)

SHE DESERVES THE BEST, DOESN'T SHE?

SHE DESERVES THE BEST DOESN’T SHE…? Women are an essential link to sustainable development a...

International Day of the Girl Child

The “International Day of Girl Child” passed only a few days ago on 11th October with the them...

You can't fight pain with pain, don't let it define you

Hello! I am so sorry as I have been absent from VOY for a month. This being due to very hard times...

International Day of the Girl Child: #EndTheSilence

Today is the International Day of the Girl Child. Five months ago, nearly 300 Nigerian girls were...

Source: https://soundcloud.com/childrensradiofoundation/transit-getting-hit-by-a-car

Getting Hit By A Car

Kamva thought it'd be a pretty normal day as he made his way to his Khayelitsha school one morning...

Human Trafficking

It is rather too easy, borderline human instinct to pass judgement on ''ladies of the night'' that we encounter in the streets. Back when I was still closed minded and impressionable by characters that surrounded me, I too was no exception to this. It is amazing how different dynamics of lif...

Atheism and the meaning of life

Ever since a young age I’ve always questioned society. I grew up in a Christian school however the idea of religion never really stuck. I always forced myself to put aside everything I felt and made myself see only absolute truths behind everything clearly and a lot of possibilities opened...

JUST ONE OLIVE BRANCH

The world we live in today has a lot of resources to offer to everyone. God gave us 24 hours in a...

Symbolism and the Panama Canal

100 years ago, the Panama Canal was opened for business linking two channels of trade for the firs...

What matters to youth in Algeria

Youth are the hope of every country, they represent a major power. If we could use this power for...