Fact Sheet

The broadest assessment of this statement is the data on physical violence compiled by the Innocenti Research Centre for the UN Secretary-General’s Study on Violence against Children (2006), which led to an estimate of between 500 million and 1.5 billion children experiencing violence annually. (Progress for Children 2009)

86 per cent of children 2–14 years old experience physical punishment and/ or psychological aggression. Two out of three children are subject to physical punishment. (Progress for Children 2009)

In 35 countries with available data, the percentage of mothers or caregivers who think physical punishment is necessary to raise a child is consistently lower than the percentage of children 2–14 years old who are actually subjected to such discipline. (Progress for Children 2009)

Data from 68 countries indicate that more than 50 per cent of girls and women 15–49 years old think that a husband is justified in hitting or beating his wife under certain circumstances. (Progress for Children 2009)

Children 15–17 years old in the worst forms of child labour, including hazardous work, or in household chores for 43 or more hours per week. (Progress for Children 2009)

The UN estimates the number of children associated with armed groups or armed forces at more than 250,000.28. (Progress for Children 2009)

83 per cent of children 2–14 years old experienced violent forms of discipline, and 60 per cent experienced physical punishment. (Progress for Children 2009)

The future of Ukraine is in people's hands

Ukraine has just suffered a civil revolution against former President Viktor Yanukovitx. 60% of th...

21 Questions!

I don't know how to start this note or make the words suitable for everyone to understand. Well the...

Tragedy

Tragedy after tragedy, same topic every decade with no absolute idea to do away with the scourge. Cl...

Making Peace

“The road is blocked. You cannot go any further, please come through the other way,” a 7-year...

OneMinutesJr. And So My Days Go By

(Zen, 14, Zaatari Camp, Jordan, 2014) A young man spends his days in Zaatari camp focusing on bett...

#NOlostgeneration "Think, Write, Discuss"

“Winter was another major issue, with a need for children's winter clothing. 'How are we going t...

Source: https://soundcloud.com/vibe-fm-young-reporters/tnnr-psa-on-cyber-abuse

The rising tide of cyber abuse

Cyber abuse is continuing to rise around the world and seems to be affecting young people and chil...

The dangers of social networks

Social networking sites haven’t been around for too long but their popularity among kids and young adults is strong. When I was younger, I remember grownups informing me and other kids of the dangers in social networks and what dire consequences it could have if you left too much informati...

Under Siege

3 years of conflict in Syria. UNICEF has just released their report, 'Under Siege- the devastating...

Innovate for a better world with Google!

Doodle 4 Google competition: Inventing a world without violence This year, Google is asking K-...