Fact Sheet

The broadest assessment of this statement is the data on physical violence compiled by the Innocenti Research Centre for the UN Secretary-General’s Study on Violence against Children (2006), which led to an estimate of between 500 million and 1.5 billion children experiencing violence annually. (Progress for Children 2009)

86 per cent of children 2–14 years old experience physical punishment and/ or psychological aggression. Two out of three children are subject to physical punishment. (Progress for Children 2009)

In 35 countries with available data, the percentage of mothers or caregivers who think physical punishment is necessary to raise a child is consistently lower than the percentage of children 2–14 years old who are actually subjected to such discipline. (Progress for Children 2009)

Data from 68 countries indicate that more than 50 per cent of girls and women 15–49 years old think that a husband is justified in hitting or beating his wife under certain circumstances. (Progress for Children 2009)

Children 15–17 years old in the worst forms of child labour, including hazardous work, or in household chores for 43 or more hours per week. (Progress for Children 2009)

The UN estimates the number of children associated with armed groups or armed forces at more than 250,000.28. (Progress for Children 2009)

83 per cent of children 2–14 years old experienced violent forms of discipline, and 60 per cent experienced physical punishment. (Progress for Children 2009)

Together We Can

Youths should be instruments of change not tools of anarchy. You know what fascinates me about we th...

What's great about my community

Moonga Mukonka is my name and I am 21 years old. I come from the Copperbelt province of Zambia. I am currently studying for a Bachelor’s Degree in Architecture at the Copperbelt University in Kitwe, Zambia. In my community peace is the common language we all speak. People have the spir...

DO THE APPS BUILT UP FOR WOMEN’S SAFETY REALLY HELP…???

After shaking the nation by the Delhi rape case people have thought for the same for months and months and have tried to develop apps for the safety of women. But will these apps work? Will these apps help men to respect women? According to my perspective I feel that its awe-inspiring that...

Source: http://shireenmohammed.wordpress.com/2014/07/03/the-history-of-yezidis-in-iraq/

The History of Yezidies in Iraq

Yezidis (Yezidis) and in Kurdish language (Iyazdi), is a religious group in the Middle East, most of them are living near Mosul in Iraq, and the other smaller groups are living in Turkey, Syria, Iran, Georgia and Armenia. Ethnically they belong to the Kurdish origin with Indo-European ro...

A Nation's Elusive Unity

“One nation bound in freedom, peace and unity,” the words of the last line of the first stanza of our national anthem. Sadly, I do no think ours is a nation where freedom abounds, and neither are we living (or have we ever lived) in peace and unity. At best we have only tolerated one another, ea...

Chinese-Japanese Relations with youth and her family

“Never buy a Japanese car or anything large that’s Japanese. We can’t forget what they did t...

Hou Qing

Rising rapidly in power, population, and industry, China is, as we all have acknowledged, on the r...

Animals have rights too!!!

I felt really bad when i was acknowledged about the fact that animals were disrespected in our wor...

Socal media day

Today 30/06/2014 is the social media day. Since I woke up in the morning I have been reflecting on...

Story of a girl

I was working in a primary health care unit with my colleagues, that is located in a rural area in my city in Egypt. I was taking information from a patient and she was about 13 years old. When I asked her about her education she said that she left school a year ago. I was shocked when I hea...