Fact Sheet

The broadest assessment of this statement is the data on physical violence compiled by the Innocenti Research Centre for the UN Secretary-General’s Study on Violence against Children (2006), which led to an estimate of between 500 million and 1.5 billion children experiencing violence annually. (Progress for Children 2009)

86 per cent of children 2–14 years old experience physical punishment and/ or psychological aggression. Two out of three children are subject to physical punishment. (Progress for Children 2009)

In 35 countries with available data, the percentage of mothers or caregivers who think physical punishment is necessary to raise a child is consistently lower than the percentage of children 2–14 years old who are actually subjected to such discipline. (Progress for Children 2009)

Data from 68 countries indicate that more than 50 per cent of girls and women 15–49 years old think that a husband is justified in hitting or beating his wife under certain circumstances. (Progress for Children 2009)

Children 15–17 years old in the worst forms of child labour, including hazardous work, or in household chores for 43 or more hours per week. (Progress for Children 2009)

The UN estimates the number of children associated with armed groups or armed forces at more than 250,000.28. (Progress for Children 2009)

83 per cent of children 2–14 years old experienced violent forms of discipline, and 60 per cent experienced physical punishment. (Progress for Children 2009)

Gender-Equality, and a Conversation with the UN SRSG-SVC

On Monday, Youth to End Sexual Violence was at the United Nations to advocate for the development...

Religion and caste

Do we need to consider religion or the caste of a person when we associate with someone? I think the answer should be, NO. It's different to expand our thinking ability because horizons mean what the limitations are, on behalf of our emotions. You should be an emotional person, but not...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t31.0-8/s720x720/10549265_700685736647376_1809865485359025340_o.jpg

Source: https://www.facebook.com/UNICEFSriLanka/photos/a.247131832002771.58114.183150725...

#Photography for Storytelling

An open invitation to all enthusiasts! Join UNICEF Sri Lanka at this event announcing the 3rd...

Our world

A place where the blossoms are bright A place where the land is not torn A place where my pe...

What's happening to our world?

Hi! My name is Shradzy and I believe that everyone should be heard out. Firstly, (OBVIOUSL...

What matters most to youth? Part 1

When I sent out the question, “What matters most to the youth in Nigeria?” I thought I already...

SAVE THE CHILDREN! SAVE THE FUTURE!

ARAFAT, AYMAN, BASSEM, HABIB, HAMZA, IBRAHIM, JAMIL, KHALED, KHALIL, MIRIAM, MUSTAFA, NABIL, SAHAR...

“Young people in Gaza are the most traumatized population in the wor...

In an exclusive interview with "Humanitarian's Manifesto", a community powered initiative, Dr. Aki...

South Sudanese IDP's mark International Youth Day

Juba, South Sudan. 15 August 2014: In a rain drenched UN House Protection of Civilian camp (POC)...

Protesting.

As I walked down the normally tranquil Kensington High Street, I noticed something rather unusual....