Fact Sheet

The broadest assessment of this statement is the data on physical violence compiled by the Innocenti Research Centre for the UN Secretary-General’s Study on Violence against Children (2006), which led to an estimate of between 500 million and 1.5 billion children experiencing violence annually. (Progress for Children 2009)

86 per cent of children 2–14 years old experience physical punishment and/ or psychological aggression. Two out of three children are subject to physical punishment. (Progress for Children 2009)

In 35 countries with available data, the percentage of mothers or caregivers who think physical punishment is necessary to raise a child is consistently lower than the percentage of children 2–14 years old who are actually subjected to such discipline. (Progress for Children 2009)

Data from 68 countries indicate that more than 50 per cent of girls and women 15–49 years old think that a husband is justified in hitting or beating his wife under certain circumstances. (Progress for Children 2009)

Children 15–17 years old in the worst forms of child labour, including hazardous work, or in household chores for 43 or more hours per week. (Progress for Children 2009)

The UN estimates the number of children associated with armed groups or armed forces at more than 250,000.28. (Progress for Children 2009)

83 per cent of children 2–14 years old experienced violent forms of discipline, and 60 per cent experienced physical punishment. (Progress for Children 2009)

Source: https://soundcloud.com/childrensradiofoundation/sets/child-gauge-book-launch

Child Gauge Book Launch

Young Reporters from Aganang FM and Alex FM recently attended the Child Gauge Book Lauch in Pretor...

Gender Issues must be taken into consideration in all stages of Develo...

The 16 Days of Activism against gender violence is an international campaign. It starts on the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women on 25th November and ends on 10 December, Human Rights Day. The campaign hopes to raise awareness on gender based violence prevention...

The Olympics As Our Voice Towards Activism

On November 2, 2014, the United Nations General Assembly passed a resolution that "supports the in...

Two Game Changers: Nimco Ali and Laura Bates

As part of #16DaysOfActivism, we at #YouthForChange will be highlighting incredible women from acr...

L'oranais, an Algerian movie

Most of us like cinema, like seeing movies and watching series. Many of us like actors and there a...

Do they know it's christmas time at all?

It's exactly one month before Christmas and I'm looking forward for a break from my hectic life but I cannot help but think of all the children and young people in the world who won't even know it is Christmas. I think of the people who will be spending their Christmas without their rela...

GENDER BASED VIOLENCE

Why do you think men beat women is it because they want respect or because they just want to? Well...

What have particularly marked me recently as an ambitious individual a...

Mauritius Island is not just about stunning beaches, the Sun, summer, beautiful sights, amazing fo...

United Nations Student Conference on Development

It has begun! The 2014-2015 United Nations Student Leadership Conference on Development preparations are well under way. We are working closely with schools in Thailand, Pakistan, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Tanzania, the Philippines, Mexico, and India. This year, our focus is "Con...

Across the 38th parallel

According to UNHCR, more than ever since World War II, the number of refugees are increasing. Of c...