Fact Sheet

The broadest assessment of this statement is the data on physical violence compiled by the Innocenti Research Centre for the UN Secretary-General’s Study on Violence against Children (2006), which led to an estimate of between 500 million and 1.5 billion children experiencing violence annually. (Progress for Children 2009)

86 per cent of children 2–14 years old experience physical punishment and/ or psychological aggression. Two out of three children are subject to physical punishment. (Progress for Children 2009)

In 35 countries with available data, the percentage of mothers or caregivers who think physical punishment is necessary to raise a child is consistently lower than the percentage of children 2–14 years old who are actually subjected to such discipline. (Progress for Children 2009)

Data from 68 countries indicate that more than 50 per cent of girls and women 15–49 years old think that a husband is justified in hitting or beating his wife under certain circumstances. (Progress for Children 2009)

Children 15–17 years old in the worst forms of child labour, including hazardous work, or in household chores for 43 or more hours per week. (Progress for Children 2009)

The UN estimates the number of children associated with armed groups or armed forces at more than 250,000.28. (Progress for Children 2009)

83 per cent of children 2–14 years old experienced violent forms of discipline, and 60 per cent experienced physical punishment. (Progress for Children 2009)

When is enough enough?

When is enough enough? When does the violence stop? When does love prevail? Why fight with strangers when you can make friends? To all my brothers and sisters out there who are victimised by someone's hatred or ignorance, I am truly and extremely sorry:( Before I go on further, allow me...

Education in Conflict: Using The Dual Narrative Approach in Palestine'...

The Dual Narrative is a form of narrative that describes a story in two different perspectives, us...

Intro To No one

I may not know who I am; but I know what I stand for (gay rights) and what I stand against (domestic violence). So a platform like this only seemed right to join.

Convention of the Rights and Responsibilities of the Child

I had a read through the Convention on the Rights of the Child before writing this post and thought it was missing something. With rights comes responsibilities and that should be acknowledged in the Convention. It is correct that children should be have a right to a family, education, healt...

WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR VIOLENCE AGAINST ADOLESCENT GIRLS AND WHAT ARE...

What we are doing wrong is thinking that because we have never experienced violence or a man has n...

Paul Collier’s The Bottom Billion

If you are up for a classic that analyses critical issues in development policy and economics, you should read The Bottom Billion by Paul Collier. What stands out for me in the book are the relevance of some issues broached for the present, the elaborate development instruments-including...

In this focus piece, Youth to End Sexual Violence explores the issue of Female G...

Source: http://www.youthtoendsexualviolence.org/blog/2014/10/23/in-focus-female-genital-...

In Focus: Female Genital Mutilation (FGM)

"My legs were completely numb and the pain between them was so intense. I wished I would die. I felt my poor mother hold me in her arms - my memory ends at this instant until I opened my eyes and the killer woman was gone. I was lying on the ground close to a rock, and my legs were tied together wit...

STOP, not in my name!

You must have heard about the awful news of the execution of the French hostage in Algeria a coupl...

One Young World summit - We can learn from each other!

From the 15th October to the 18th October I was privileged to attend the one young world conferenc...

Tuesday marked six months since the Al-Qaeda affiliated terrorist group, Boko Ha...

Source: http://www.youthtoendsexualviolence.org/blog/2014/10/16/were-worth-fighting-for-...

We're worth fighting for: Bring Back Our Girls

Tuesday marked six months since the Al-Qaeda affiliated terrorist group, Boko Haram, kidnapped 276 Nigerian girls from a boarding school in the northeastern village of Chibok. Three months ago, Boko Haram released a video showing its leader standing in front of armored vehicles mocking the B...