Fact Sheet

The broadest assessment of this statement is the data on physical violence compiled by the Innocenti Research Centre for the UN Secretary-General’s Study on Violence against Children (2006), which led to an estimate of between 500 million and 1.5 billion children experiencing violence annually. (Progress for Children 2009)

86 per cent of children 2–14 years old experience physical punishment and/ or psychological aggression. Two out of three children are subject to physical punishment. (Progress for Children 2009)

In 35 countries with available data, the percentage of mothers or caregivers who think physical punishment is necessary to raise a child is consistently lower than the percentage of children 2–14 years old who are actually subjected to such discipline. (Progress for Children 2009)

Data from 68 countries indicate that more than 50 per cent of girls and women 15–49 years old think that a husband is justified in hitting or beating his wife under certain circumstances. (Progress for Children 2009)

Children 15–17 years old in the worst forms of child labour, including hazardous work, or in household chores for 43 or more hours per week. (Progress for Children 2009)

The UN estimates the number of children associated with armed groups or armed forces at more than 250,000.28. (Progress for Children 2009)

83 per cent of children 2–14 years old experienced violent forms of discipline, and 60 per cent experienced physical punishment. (Progress for Children 2009)

OneMinutesJr. Life of an Ant

(Wafa'a, 20, Jordan, 2014) A young woman muses on the strength of those who must stand strong and...

"I even achieved my purpose of finding my path.."

Somar, a young Syrian from Hama is studying Turkish in Nizip-2 Camp in Gaziantep, Turkey.

Youth Unemployment: Kenyan intervention

Of late, I have been deeply interested in two fundamental development issues in my country; one of...

Are we looking for perfection?

At the expense of global warming, disruption in the earth's crust, conflict and reduction in the ear...

“We need education so we can rebuild our home”

Amman, Jordan, February 2014 – Like many teenagers in Jordan, Ghada is nervously awaiting her ex...

Why did Michael Jackson change his skin colour?

Why Michael Jackson changed his skin colour? It has always been a mystery to me why Michael Jackson, King of Pop, changed his skin from black to white. Some people say it may have been due to a disease called vitilgo which cause white splotches on skin. But a lot of people suspect that it...

Day 1: #UNSLCD (15:00)

Voting has been complete! Andres & Kelly have been elected Chairperson and Vice Chairperson respectively. Facilitators, Discussion Monitors, and Sub-theme editors are being appointed, and the final touches are being made for the Video conference on Monday, March 3, 2014. Use #UNSLC...

Day 1: #UNSLCD

Day 1 is underway! The United Nations Student Leadership Conference on Development has begun! Introductions by the Student Leaders is complete. Opening remarks by Global Education Motivator's Wayne Jacoby regarding Monday's video-coference are currently taking place. Updates will be po...

OneMinutesJr. "Syria My Love"

How do you feel when you lose something? 16-year-old Rane shares a love letter with the Syria he had...

What went wrong in South Sudan

Sometime last week I happened to attend a forum discussing the very tragic South Sudan conflict. M...