Fact Sheet

The broadest assessment of this statement is the data on physical violence compiled by the Innocenti Research Centre for the UN Secretary-General’s Study on Violence against Children (2006), which led to an estimate of between 500 million and 1.5 billion children experiencing violence annually. (Progress for Children 2009)

86 per cent of children 2–14 years old experience physical punishment and/ or psychological aggression. Two out of three children are subject to physical punishment. (Progress for Children 2009)

In 35 countries with available data, the percentage of mothers or caregivers who think physical punishment is necessary to raise a child is consistently lower than the percentage of children 2–14 years old who are actually subjected to such discipline. (Progress for Children 2009)

Data from 68 countries indicate that more than 50 per cent of girls and women 15–49 years old think that a husband is justified in hitting or beating his wife under certain circumstances. (Progress for Children 2009)

Children 15–17 years old in the worst forms of child labour, including hazardous work, or in household chores for 43 or more hours per week. (Progress for Children 2009)

The UN estimates the number of children associated with armed groups or armed forces at more than 250,000.28. (Progress for Children 2009)

83 per cent of children 2–14 years old experienced violent forms of discipline, and 60 per cent experienced physical punishment. (Progress for Children 2009)

International Youth Day #IYD14 - Why we need to talk about #SexualViol...

It's time for youth to talk about Sexual Violence. This past June, members of governments a...

Peace Without Arms

BOOM! The building is falling, surrounded by fire. You don't know where to go, you think about you...

5 Reasons Why Female Circumcision Needs To Stop

There can be little doubt that female circumcision is one of the most shocking cultural practices...

Nigerian youth multiplying impact

A developing country has at least three dire needs - development, national transformation and yout...

Stop the senseless killing of innocent children

How do you console a child who has become a victim of war? How does one console a child who has...

Gaza: Why the International Community must no longer take a backseat

Traumatised by the daily display on our news-screens I took it upon myself to do the only thing I knew I had the power to do, which is to voice my opinion. Last night, the video portraying a young boy lying lifeless on a hospital bed in Gaza, the doctors opening his limp lids to pupils fixed...

Shame to Humanity

Children of Gaza strip must be asking their mothers,'Who are trying to kill us? Palestine? Israel? Egypt?' but simply the answer is 'Humans killing humans'. For just a stupid political reason, around 1800 people are already dead and more than 9500 are wounded. Israel is killing Palestinians...

In Times Like This, What is there to be Grateful for?

It has been said that to attract more grace in dazzling altitude, you should learn to lavish praise on people and nature. In my experience, treading the grateful path has yielded wholesome results and opened numerous doors. I realised in my journey that everyone loves to be appreciated, it boosts ou...

Patriotism Is Love

I guess sense of patriotism is familiar to every of us. How many times we heard about it in our sc...

Israel and Palestine

How can we just sit around and do nothing? America, do something! President Obama, take action! Formerly, I supported our President with blind hopes thinking that he would revolutionize the way the Untied States has approached foreign policy since the atrocities of the 1960s and beyond. Howe...