Fact Sheet

The broadest assessment of this statement is the data on physical violence compiled by the Innocenti Research Centre for the UN Secretary-General’s Study on Violence against Children (2006), which led to an estimate of between 500 million and 1.5 billion children experiencing violence annually. (Progress for Children 2009)

86 per cent of children 2–14 years old experience physical punishment and/ or psychological aggression. Two out of three children are subject to physical punishment. (Progress for Children 2009)

In 35 countries with available data, the percentage of mothers or caregivers who think physical punishment is necessary to raise a child is consistently lower than the percentage of children 2–14 years old who are actually subjected to such discipline. (Progress for Children 2009)

Data from 68 countries indicate that more than 50 per cent of girls and women 15–49 years old think that a husband is justified in hitting or beating his wife under certain circumstances. (Progress for Children 2009)

Children 15–17 years old in the worst forms of child labour, including hazardous work, or in household chores for 43 or more hours per week. (Progress for Children 2009)

The UN estimates the number of children associated with armed groups or armed forces at more than 250,000.28. (Progress for Children 2009)

83 per cent of children 2–14 years old experienced violent forms of discipline, and 60 per cent experienced physical punishment. (Progress for Children 2009)

TAKE ACTION: What I can do to help the #childrenofsyria

We have received blog posts, discussion comments, and debate discussions asking the question- what...

The girl child - Rape!

Rape- is a word which is supposed to be wiped out of existence. Most girls in the rural and urban ar...

At a public ceremony in a packed room at the State House in Entebbe,Yoweri Musev...

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/24/uganda-president-signs-anti-gay-law...

Uganda politicians celebrate passing of anti-gay laws

Hi VOY, I am reblogging this article from The Guardian because I want to know your thoughts and opinions! I think there are a few issues here to comment on from politics between different countries (check out this previous blog post!) and gay rights. Defying international disapprova...

Violence and You

To me, violence is because of hopelessness. As part of our nature, when we humans feel that we hav...

The vulgarity associated with the word "slut" and its reality

“So what’s a prostitute dude? What do you think?” This is the question I wish to ask to so many people at the same time. We are so much into assuming this word to be a slang that we just throw it at any random girl. Yes, it’s ridiculous but the truth. Can you really deny not having...

Thirteen-year old Iman and her 11-year old sister Amel know what they want: “T...

Source: http://childrenofsyria.info/2014/02/

Syrian Sisters Aim to Teach

Nizip, Turkey, January 2014 - Thirteen-year old Iman and her 11-year old sister Amel know what they want: “To go to school, study hard and become a teacher at our father’s school.” One year ago, the sisters, along with their five sibling and parents, fled Syria for Turkey. It was a l...

Shaping young minds!

Whether or not we are content with this fact, our childhoods shape who we become as adults. The ki...

OneMinutesJr. Beautiful Apple Tree

(Ghaida, 16, Zaatari Camp, Jordan) A beautiful scene pops up in the camp, and delivers a missing t...

National Youth Violence Prevention Week- April 7-11

Youth, join us everywhere...National Youth Prevention Week April 7-11, 2014!! Student's Agains...

Sahariyas: a story of hope or despair??

‘Sahariyas’ is a native tribe of the state, Madhya Pradesh. This tribe also resides in Shivpur...