Fact Sheet

The broadest assessment of this statement is the data on physical violence compiled by the Innocenti Research Centre for the UN Secretary-General’s Study on Violence against Children (2006), which led to an estimate of between 500 million and 1.5 billion children experiencing violence annually. (Progress for Children 2009)

86 per cent of children 2–14 years old experience physical punishment and/ or psychological aggression. Two out of three children are subject to physical punishment. (Progress for Children 2009)

In 35 countries with available data, the percentage of mothers or caregivers who think physical punishment is necessary to raise a child is consistently lower than the percentage of children 2–14 years old who are actually subjected to such discipline. (Progress for Children 2009)

Data from 68 countries indicate that more than 50 per cent of girls and women 15–49 years old think that a husband is justified in hitting or beating his wife under certain circumstances. (Progress for Children 2009)

Children 15–17 years old in the worst forms of child labour, including hazardous work, or in household chores for 43 or more hours per week. (Progress for Children 2009)

The UN estimates the number of children associated with armed groups or armed forces at more than 250,000.28. (Progress for Children 2009)

83 per cent of children 2–14 years old experienced violent forms of discipline, and 60 per cent experienced physical punishment. (Progress for Children 2009)

Why Does Female Circumcision Take Place And What Are The Risks?

With the increase in immigration around the world, female circumcision, once regarded as a problem...

A New Al Qaeda

The Sunni-Shiite split happened c. 650 C.E. In the religion of Islam, it carries great political a...

How young people can speak up for girls’ rights

It’s time to act on girls’ rights so we can build a better future for everyone. Play your part...

All I want is peace - a child's testimony from South Sudan

JUBA, South Sudan 16, June 2014 – Every time I close my eyes, I can still see images of the gunm...

FGM: the law is failing

Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) has been a crime in the UK since 1985 (the Prohibition of Female C...

The Problem of Child Work in Bandundu

Following the World Day Against Child Labour, Deo, a Young Reporter from Bandundu, raises his voic...

Time is never wasted when it is given to a child to express him/hersel...

“The Children’s Forum of Hope” of the Great Lakes region was officially launched on Saturday...

“HAPPY” – Tuna Furahi From Goma

In North-Kivu, in the East of the Democratic Republic of Congo, we have lived through a decade of...

Terror scars: I fear I am losing my country

They killed forty eight men one night ago. They came in to the town, took out a police station, demobilized them and then proceeded to shoot at everything male in their path. They shot them and left their bodies lying in the dark to be collected and disposed. They didn't care; shot at close...

Satao, the biggest elephant in Africa is dead

Animal conservationists in Kenya are in tears. Kenya has again lost one of its treasures to poache...