The Big Picture

On 27 September, (right) UNICEF Advocate for Children Affected by War Ishmael Beah speaks at a panel discussion on the Paris Commitments and Paris Principles on Children Associated with Armed Forces or Armed Groups. Beside him is UNICEF Executive Director Anthony Lake. © UNICEF/NYHQ2010-2036/Susan Markisz

What is violence? 

Violence takes place when someone uses their strength or their position of power to hurt someone else on purpose, not by accident. 

Violence includes: 
  • Threats of violence and acts which could possibly cause harm, as well as those that actually do. The harm involved can be to a person's mind and their general health and well-being, as well as to their body.
  • Deliberate harm people do to themselves, including killing themselves. 

Violence against children exists in every country of the world, whatever the culture, ethnic group or background they are from. It doesn't matter whether their families are well-educated or not, rich or poor. Violence can take place anywhere. 

Violence is often hidden 

Much violence against children is hidden. Often the abuse of children happen behind closed doors and is perpetrated by those the child is supposed to be able to trust - parents, family members and acquaintances. Children often suffer in silence, afraid to speak out for fear of retribution or shame. 

All children are at risk of violence by the very fact that they are children. However, some children - because of their gender, race, ethnic origin, disability, or school status - are more vulnerable. 

How does violence affect children? 

Violence can have many effects on children, which can still be felt many years later. Effects may include: 
  • Physical health problems, such as changes in the development of the brain, injuries, bruises and fractures. 
  • Difficulties in dealing with other people. learning problems. 
  • Finding it hard to express feelings in a way that other people can understand. 
  • Emotional health problems including anxiety, depression, aggression or even wanting to kill him or herself. 
  • Being more likely to do dangerous things like using drugs or having sex at a very young age.

Inflicting violence on a child, in whatever form, teaches that child that violence is acceptable and so perpetuates the cycle of violence. By preventing violence today, we help build a future where violence will no longer be tolerated.

Together We Can

Youths should be instruments of change not tools of anarchy. You know what fascinates me about we th...

What's great about my community

Moonga Mukonka is my name and I am 21 years old. I come from the Copperbelt province of Zambia. I am currently studying for a Bachelor’s Degree in Architecture at the Copperbelt University in Kitwe, Zambia. In my community peace is the common language we all speak. People have the spir...

DO THE APPS BUILT UP FOR WOMEN’S SAFETY REALLY HELP…???

After shaking the nation by the Delhi rape case people have thought for the same for months and months and have tried to develop apps for the safety of women. But will these apps work? Will these apps help men to respect women? According to my perspective I feel that its awe-inspiring that...

Source: http://shireenmohammed.wordpress.com/2014/07/03/the-history-of-yezidis-in-iraq/

The History of Yezidies in Iraq

Yezidis (Yezidis) and in Kurdish language (Iyazdi), is a religious group in the Middle East, most of them are living near Mosul in Iraq, and the other smaller groups are living in Turkey, Syria, Iran, Georgia and Armenia. Ethnically they belong to the Kurdish origin with Indo-European ro...

A Nation's Elusive Unity

“One nation bound in freedom, peace and unity,” the words of the last line of the first stanza of our national anthem. Sadly, I do no think ours is a nation where freedom abounds, and neither are we living (or have we ever lived) in peace and unity. At best we have only tolerated one another, ea...

Chinese-Japanese Relations with youth and her family

“Never buy a Japanese car or anything large that’s Japanese. We can’t forget what they did t...

Hou Qing

Rising rapidly in power, population, and industry, China is, as we all have acknowledged, on the r...

Animals have rights too!!!

I felt really bad when i was acknowledged about the fact that animals were disrespected in our wor...

Socal media day

Today 30/06/2014 is the social media day. Since I woke up in the morning I have been reflecting on...

Story of a girl

I was working in a primary health care unit with my colleagues, that is located in a rural area in my city in Egypt. I was taking information from a patient and she was about 13 years old. When I asked her about her education she said that she left school a year ago. I was shocked when I hea...