The Big Picture

On 27 September, (right) UNICEF Advocate for Children Affected by War Ishmael Beah speaks at a panel discussion on the Paris Commitments and Paris Principles on Children Associated with Armed Forces or Armed Groups. Beside him is UNICEF Executive Director Anthony Lake. © UNICEF/NYHQ2010-2036/Susan Markisz

What is violence? 

Violence takes place when someone uses their strength or their position of power to hurt someone else on purpose, not by accident. 

Violence includes: 
  • Threats of violence and acts which could possibly cause harm, as well as those that actually do. The harm involved can be to a person's mind and their general health and well-being, as well as to their body.
  • Deliberate harm people do to themselves, including killing themselves. 

Violence against children exists in every country of the world, whatever the culture, ethnic group or background they are from. It doesn't matter whether their families are well-educated or not, rich or poor. Violence can take place anywhere. 

Violence is often hidden 

Much violence against children is hidden. Often the abuse of children happen behind closed doors and is perpetrated by those the child is supposed to be able to trust - parents, family members and acquaintances. Children often suffer in silence, afraid to speak out for fear of retribution or shame. 

All children are at risk of violence by the very fact that they are children. However, some children - because of their gender, race, ethnic origin, disability, or school status - are more vulnerable. 

How does violence affect children? 

Violence can have many effects on children, which can still be felt many years later. Effects may include: 
  • Physical health problems, such as changes in the development of the brain, injuries, bruises and fractures. 
  • Difficulties in dealing with other people. learning problems. 
  • Finding it hard to express feelings in a way that other people can understand. 
  • Emotional health problems including anxiety, depression, aggression or even wanting to kill him or herself. 
  • Being more likely to do dangerous things like using drugs or having sex at a very young age.

Inflicting violence on a child, in whatever form, teaches that child that violence is acceptable and so perpetuates the cycle of violence. By preventing violence today, we help build a future where violence will no longer be tolerated.

Human Rights in 2014

Human Rights are the principles that should be guaranteed to every person regardless of sex, age, income level, or race. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) was ratified on December 16, 1949 by the UN, after the atrocities committed during World War II. It was the first global e...

When is enough enough?

When is enough enough? When does the violence stop? When does love prevail? Why fight with strangers when you can make friends? To all my brothers and sisters out there who are victimised by someone's hatred or ignorance, I am truly and extremely sorry:( Before I go on further, allow me...

Education in Conflict: Using The Dual Narrative Approach in Palestine'...

The Dual Narrative is a form of narrative that describes a story in two different perspectives, us...

Intro To No one

I may not know who I am; but I know what I stand for (gay rights) and what I stand against (domestic violence). So a platform like this only seemed right to join.

Convention of the Rights and Responsibilities of the Child

I had a read through the Convention on the Rights of the Child before writing this post and thought it was missing something. With rights comes responsibilities and that should be acknowledged in the Convention. It is correct that children should be have a right to a family, education, healt...

WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR VIOLENCE AGAINST ADOLESCENT GIRLS AND WHAT ARE...

What we are doing wrong is thinking that because we have never experienced violence or a man has n...

Paul Collier’s The Bottom Billion

If you are up for a classic that analyses critical issues in development policy and economics, you should read The Bottom Billion by Paul Collier. What stands out for me in the book are the relevance of some issues broached for the present, the elaborate development instruments-including...

In this focus piece, Youth to End Sexual Violence explores the issue of Female G...

Source: http://www.youthtoendsexualviolence.org/blog/2014/10/23/in-focus-female-genital-...

In Focus: Female Genital Mutilation (FGM)

"My legs were completely numb and the pain between them was so intense. I wished I would die. I felt my poor mother hold me in her arms - my memory ends at this instant until I opened my eyes and the killer woman was gone. I was lying on the ground close to a rock, and my legs were tied together wit...

STOP, not in my name!

You must have heard about the awful news of the execution of the French hostage in Algeria a coupl...

One Young World summit - We can learn from each other!

From the 15th October to the 18th October I was privileged to attend the one young world conferenc...