The Big Picture

On 27 September, (right) UNICEF Advocate for Children Affected by War Ishmael Beah speaks at a panel discussion on the Paris Commitments and Paris Principles on Children Associated with Armed Forces or Armed Groups. Beside him is UNICEF Executive Director Anthony Lake. © UNICEF/NYHQ2010-2036/Susan Markisz

What is violence? 

Violence takes place when someone uses their strength or their position of power to hurt someone else on purpose, not by accident. 

Violence includes: 
  • Threats of violence and acts which could possibly cause harm, as well as those that actually do. The harm involved can be to a person's mind and their general health and well-being, as well as to their body.
  • Deliberate harm people do to themselves, including killing themselves. 

Violence against children exists in every country of the world, whatever the culture, ethnic group or background they are from. It doesn't matter whether their families are well-educated or not, rich or poor. Violence can take place anywhere. 

Violence is often hidden 

Much violence against children is hidden. Often the abuse of children happen behind closed doors and is perpetrated by those the child is supposed to be able to trust - parents, family members and acquaintances. Children often suffer in silence, afraid to speak out for fear of retribution or shame. 

All children are at risk of violence by the very fact that they are children. However, some children - because of their gender, race, ethnic origin, disability, or school status - are more vulnerable. 

How does violence affect children? 

Violence can have many effects on children, which can still be felt many years later. Effects may include: 
  • Physical health problems, such as changes in the development of the brain, injuries, bruises and fractures. 
  • Difficulties in dealing with other people. learning problems. 
  • Finding it hard to express feelings in a way that other people can understand. 
  • Emotional health problems including anxiety, depression, aggression or even wanting to kill him or herself. 
  • Being more likely to do dangerous things like using drugs or having sex at a very young age.

Inflicting violence on a child, in whatever form, teaches that child that violence is acceptable and so perpetuates the cycle of violence. By preventing violence today, we help build a future where violence will no longer be tolerated.

Socal media day

Today 30/06/2014 is the social media day. Since I woke up in the morning I have been reflecting on...

Story of a girl

I was working in a primary health care unit with my colleagues, that is located in a rural area in my city in Egypt. I was taking information from a patient and she was about 13 years old. When I asked her about her education she said that she left school a year ago. I was shocked when I hea...

"Don't use drugs. To Live is Better!"

A cry in defense of Life: Don't use drugs. To Live is Better! Themes that defend human developme...

My Fathers And I

My fathers and I I remember when the grass became a patriot on the sod and how growth was a midget in conflict. I remember when men couldn't feed and how wooden huts became a choice. I remember how the territory of slaves was carved from pain. I remember when my forefathers agreed to change the worl...

Revolutionary change from the politics of death

Once again our collective opinion on voice as a strong vehement Nigerian youth for a revolutionize...

Youth & Community Theatre for Development

Yesterday morning, on 23 June at UNICEF NYHQ, there was a feature on “Community Theatre in Achieving Results for Children” that was part of UNICEF’s 2014 Spotlight series on Communication for Development (C4D) Innovations for Equity. This feature facilitated a panel discussion on how C...

Poverty and Terrorism

Pakistan experiences the worst forms of poverty. I personally believe that poverty is a major reas...

What is success?

In life, everyone wants success. However, more than half of us are wrong when we consider ourselve...

There have been quite a lot relating to this problem in news. It is shocking to...

Source: http://www.nssc1.org/school-violence-problem.html

Do you think school violence is becoming a problem?

If you watch news channels quite often, then it is sure you must have heard a lot about school violence. There have been quite a lot relating to this problem in news. It is shocking to hear about incidents of cyberbullying, killing, injuring or rape attempts in schools. But what is the reason behind...

...there is nothing much I can do to change my situation but our leaders can do...

Source: http://www.voicesofyouth.org/en/posts/all-i-want-is-peace---a-child-s-testimony-...

I cry, but what will my tears do?

Before I begun my day, on impulse I checked twitter. I saw a tweet from VOY that said If you only read one thing today, make sure it is this: http://t.co/nzUkgvAZBS">http://t.co/nzUkgvAZBS">http://t.co/nzUkgvAZBS - a testimony from a 12 yr old from South Sudan. — Voices o...