The Big Picture

On 27 September, (right) UNICEF Advocate for Children Affected by War Ishmael Beah speaks at a panel discussion on the Paris Commitments and Paris Principles on Children Associated with Armed Forces or Armed Groups. Beside him is UNICEF Executive Director Anthony Lake. © UNICEF/NYHQ2010-2036/Susan Markisz

What is violence? 

Violence takes place when someone uses their strength or their position of power to hurt someone else on purpose, not by accident. 

Violence includes: 
  • Threats of violence and acts which could possibly cause harm, as well as those that actually do. The harm involved can be to a person's mind and their general health and well-being, as well as to their body.
  • Deliberate harm people do to themselves, including killing themselves. 

Violence against children exists in every country of the world, whatever the culture, ethnic group or background they are from. It doesn't matter whether their families are well-educated or not, rich or poor. Violence can take place anywhere. 

Violence is often hidden 

Much violence against children is hidden. Often the abuse of children happen behind closed doors and is perpetrated by those the child is supposed to be able to trust - parents, family members and acquaintances. Children often suffer in silence, afraid to speak out for fear of retribution or shame. 

All children are at risk of violence by the very fact that they are children. However, some children - because of their gender, race, ethnic origin, disability, or school status - are more vulnerable. 

How does violence affect children? 

Violence can have many effects on children, which can still be felt many years later. Effects may include: 
  • Physical health problems, such as changes in the development of the brain, injuries, bruises and fractures. 
  • Difficulties in dealing with other people. learning problems. 
  • Finding it hard to express feelings in a way that other people can understand. 
  • Emotional health problems including anxiety, depression, aggression or even wanting to kill him or herself. 
  • Being more likely to do dangerous things like using drugs or having sex at a very young age.

Inflicting violence on a child, in whatever form, teaches that child that violence is acceptable and so perpetuates the cycle of violence. By preventing violence today, we help build a future where violence will no longer be tolerated.

TAKE ACTION: What I can do to help the #childrenofsyria

We have received blog posts, discussion comments, and debate discussions asking the question- what...

The girl child - Rape!

Rape- is a word which is supposed to be wiped out of existence. Most girls in the rural and urban ar...

At a public ceremony in a packed room at the State House in Entebbe,Yoweri Musev...

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/24/uganda-president-signs-anti-gay-law...

Uganda politicians celebrate passing of anti-gay laws

Hi VOY, I am reblogging this article from The Guardian because I want to know your thoughts and opinions! I think there are a few issues here to comment on from politics between different countries (check out this previous blog post!) and gay rights. Defying international disapprova...

Violence and You

To me, violence is because of hopelessness. As part of our nature, when we humans feel that we hav...

The vulgarity associated with the word "slut" and its reality

“So what’s a prostitute dude? What do you think?” This is the question I wish to ask to so many people at the same time. We are so much into assuming this word to be a slang that we just throw it at any random girl. Yes, it’s ridiculous but the truth. Can you really deny not having...

Thirteen-year old Iman and her 11-year old sister Amel know what they want: “T...

Source: http://childrenofsyria.info/2014/02/

Syrian Sisters Aim to Teach

Nizip, Turkey, January 2014 - Thirteen-year old Iman and her 11-year old sister Amel know what they want: “To go to school, study hard and become a teacher at our father’s school.” One year ago, the sisters, along with their five sibling and parents, fled Syria for Turkey. It was a l...

Shaping young minds!

Whether or not we are content with this fact, our childhoods shape who we become as adults. The ki...

OneMinutesJr. Beautiful Apple Tree

(Ghaida, 16, Zaatari Camp, Jordan) A beautiful scene pops up in the camp, and delivers a missing t...

National Youth Violence Prevention Week- April 7-11

Youth, join us everywhere...National Youth Prevention Week April 7-11, 2014!! Student's Agains...

Sahariyas: a story of hope or despair??

‘Sahariyas’ is a native tribe of the state, Madhya Pradesh. This tribe also resides in Shivpur...