The Big Picture

On 27 September, (right) UNICEF Advocate for Children Affected by War Ishmael Beah speaks at a panel discussion on the Paris Commitments and Paris Principles on Children Associated with Armed Forces or Armed Groups. Beside him is UNICEF Executive Director Anthony Lake. © UNICEF/NYHQ2010-2036/Susan Markisz

What is violence? 

Violence takes place when someone uses their strength or their position of power to hurt someone else on purpose, not by accident. 

Violence includes: 
  • Threats of violence and acts which could possibly cause harm, as well as those that actually do. The harm involved can be to a person's mind and their general health and well-being, as well as to their body.
  • Deliberate harm people do to themselves, including killing themselves. 

Violence against children exists in every country of the world, whatever the culture, ethnic group or background they are from. It doesn't matter whether their families are well-educated or not, rich or poor. Violence can take place anywhere. 

Violence is often hidden 

Much violence against children is hidden. Often the abuse of children happen behind closed doors and is perpetrated by those the child is supposed to be able to trust - parents, family members and acquaintances. Children often suffer in silence, afraid to speak out for fear of retribution or shame. 

All children are at risk of violence by the very fact that they are children. However, some children - because of their gender, race, ethnic origin, disability, or school status - are more vulnerable. 

How does violence affect children? 

Violence can have many effects on children, which can still be felt many years later. Effects may include: 
  • Physical health problems, such as changes in the development of the brain, injuries, bruises and fractures. 
  • Difficulties in dealing with other people. learning problems. 
  • Finding it hard to express feelings in a way that other people can understand. 
  • Emotional health problems including anxiety, depression, aggression or even wanting to kill him or herself. 
  • Being more likely to do dangerous things like using drugs or having sex at a very young age.

Inflicting violence on a child, in whatever form, teaches that child that violence is acceptable and so perpetuates the cycle of violence. By preventing violence today, we help build a future where violence will no longer be tolerated.

Across the 38th parallel

According to UNHCR, more than ever since World War II, the number of refugees are increasing. Of c...

Safety in the Classroom

Nelson Mandela once famously said "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to chan...

My wish for children in 25 years time is…......

To my knowledge, the major problems that the children of today's world are facing are malnutrition, gender inequality, child labor, child marriage, female genital mutilation, sexual crimes, war/violence, depression, lack of education, drug addiction, lack of emotional security etc. So, if I...

Is It Controversial? Federal States in Nepal

Frankly speaking, I don’t like politics very much. However, being a youth and a responsible citizen of the nation, I listen to political news and discussions to understand the political situation of the country. Unfortunately, Nepal is presently facing severe political instability despite...

How to Film Protests | Part 1 | Prepare to Film

Do you want to create a video to help the change in your COMMUNITY?? You want show the world w...

#mydressmychoice Protest

As I walked through the streets of Nairobi yesterday, I met a mob of people who most of them were...

Say NO to violence against women

A woman is a human being who can be your mother, sister, child, aunt, cousin, grandmother, employe...

What's on the local news?

You may know about the situation in Ukraine. I would like to outline the main points about circums...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-buISbJqb8aE/U9Y1wmt1NgI/AAAAAAAAEW0/NOY5LXey7Hk/s1600/VICTIMS.png

Source: http://philanilegacy.blogspot.com/2014/07/victims.html

VICTIMS

"I dedicate this to all refugees and war victims in Africa. Especially for young Africans displace...

Human Rights in 2014

Human Rights are the principles that should be guaranteed to every person regardless of sex, age, income level, or race. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) was ratified on December 16, 1949 by the UN, after the atrocities committed during World War II. It was the first global e...