The Big Picture

On 27 September, (right) UNICEF Advocate for Children Affected by War Ishmael Beah speaks at a panel discussion on the Paris Commitments and Paris Principles on Children Associated with Armed Forces or Armed Groups. Beside him is UNICEF Executive Director Anthony Lake. © UNICEF/NYHQ2010-2036/Susan Markisz

What is violence? 

Violence takes place when someone uses their strength or their position of power to hurt someone else on purpose, not by accident. 

Violence includes: 
  • Threats of violence and acts which could possibly cause harm, as well as those that actually do. The harm involved can be to a person's mind and their general health and well-being, as well as to their body.
  • Deliberate harm people do to themselves, including killing themselves. 

Violence against children exists in every country of the world, whatever the culture, ethnic group or background they are from. It doesn't matter whether their families are well-educated or not, rich or poor. Violence can take place anywhere. 

Violence is often hidden 

Much violence against children is hidden. Often the abuse of children happen behind closed doors and is perpetrated by those the child is supposed to be able to trust - parents, family members and acquaintances. Children often suffer in silence, afraid to speak out for fear of retribution or shame. 

All children are at risk of violence by the very fact that they are children. However, some children - because of their gender, race, ethnic origin, disability, or school status - are more vulnerable. 

How does violence affect children? 

Violence can have many effects on children, which can still be felt many years later. Effects may include: 
  • Physical health problems, such as changes in the development of the brain, injuries, bruises and fractures. 
  • Difficulties in dealing with other people. learning problems. 
  • Finding it hard to express feelings in a way that other people can understand. 
  • Emotional health problems including anxiety, depression, aggression or even wanting to kill him or herself. 
  • Being more likely to do dangerous things like using drugs or having sex at a very young age.

Inflicting violence on a child, in whatever form, teaches that child that violence is acceptable and so perpetuates the cycle of violence. By preventing violence today, we help build a future where violence will no longer be tolerated.

The issues run deeper (Emma Watson Speech on Gender)

Let me start off by saying a very well done to Emma Watson for being chosen to be Goodwill Ambassa...

Education, especially in emergencies

100 million children and young people are affected by natural disasters every year. More than half o...

Mixed Feelings: Capital Punishment

The death penalty is the sentence of execution for lethal crimes and other capital crimes defined...

SHE DESERVES THE BEST, DOESN'T SHE?

SHE DESERVES THE BEST DOESN’T SHE…? Women are an essential link to sustainable development a...

International Day of the Girl Child

The “International Day of Girl Child” passed only a few days ago on 11th October with the them...

You can't fight pain with pain, don't let it define you

Hello! I am so sorry as I have been absent from VOY for a month. This being due to very hard times...

International Day of the Girl Child: #EndTheSilence

Today is the International Day of the Girl Child. Five months ago, nearly 300 Nigerian girls were...

Source: https://soundcloud.com/childrensradiofoundation/transit-getting-hit-by-a-car

Getting Hit By A Car

Kamva thought it'd be a pretty normal day as he made his way to his Khayelitsha school one morning...

Human Trafficking

It is rather too easy, borderline human instinct to pass judgement on ''ladies of the night'' that we encounter in the streets. Back when I was still closed minded and impressionable by characters that surrounded me, I too was no exception to this. It is amazing how different dynamics of lif...

Atheism and the meaning of life

Ever since a young age I’ve always questioned society. I grew up in a Christian school however the idea of religion never really stuck. I always forced myself to put aside everything I felt and made myself see only absolute truths behind everything clearly and a lot of possibilities opened...