The Big Picture

On 27 September, (right) UNICEF Advocate for Children Affected by War Ishmael Beah speaks at a panel discussion on the Paris Commitments and Paris Principles on Children Associated with Armed Forces or Armed Groups. Beside him is UNICEF Executive Director Anthony Lake. © UNICEF/NYHQ2010-2036/Susan Markisz

What is violence? 

Violence takes place when someone uses their strength or their position of power to hurt someone else on purpose, not by accident. 

Violence includes: 
  • Threats of violence and acts which could possibly cause harm, as well as those that actually do. The harm involved can be to a person's mind and their general health and well-being, as well as to their body.
  • Deliberate harm people do to themselves, including killing themselves. 

Violence against children exists in every country of the world, whatever the culture, ethnic group or background they are from. It doesn't matter whether their families are well-educated or not, rich or poor. Violence can take place anywhere. 

Violence is often hidden 

Much violence against children is hidden. Often the abuse of children happen behind closed doors and is perpetrated by those the child is supposed to be able to trust - parents, family members and acquaintances. Children often suffer in silence, afraid to speak out for fear of retribution or shame. 

All children are at risk of violence by the very fact that they are children. However, some children - because of their gender, race, ethnic origin, disability, or school status - are more vulnerable. 

How does violence affect children? 

Violence can have many effects on children, which can still be felt many years later. Effects may include: 
  • Physical health problems, such as changes in the development of the brain, injuries, bruises and fractures. 
  • Difficulties in dealing with other people. learning problems. 
  • Finding it hard to express feelings in a way that other people can understand. 
  • Emotional health problems including anxiety, depression, aggression or even wanting to kill him or herself. 
  • Being more likely to do dangerous things like using drugs or having sex at a very young age.

Inflicting violence on a child, in whatever form, teaches that child that violence is acceptable and so perpetuates the cycle of violence. By preventing violence today, we help build a future where violence will no longer be tolerated.

Satao, the biggest elephant in Africa is dead

Animal conservationists in Kenya are in tears. Kenya has again lost one of its treasures to poache...

Save the Invisible children // The Street Children

I am really honoured to be here and thank you for all that you do for the children worldwide BUT...

BEAST OF BURDEN

A story of Adidi the “House Help” Written by Egwurube, Samuel In story books and other reference materials, most often than not, a donkey strapped with logs of load, transporting them to desired destinations of the master, or strapped with an agricultural machine tilling a farm for...

Broadway's Butterflies.

Amadi was sitting on the floor with his classmates, it was an English class. Their teacher was a v...

RESOURCE PACK: Girl Summit 2014

RESOURCE PACK DOWNLOAD SURVEY: ENGLISH The Girl Summit 2014 is a little more than a month aw...

Youths in Post 2015 Development Agenda in Morocco

Young people should be at the forefront of global change and innovation. Empowered, they can be ke...

Will the world let this nation vanish from the world map?

Man don't kill man, guns kill man! Its not a new thing in Nigeria to hear the sound of guns. People...

The thing about post war diplomacy

As many expected and predicted, the resolution against Sri Lanka was adopted by a majority vote at the Commission that is for Human Rights of the Nations who Stand United. Any thought on ignoring its impact is officially a goner. They will watch us. That’s what Navi Pillay says. So our people hav...

Boko Haram

It has been 7 weeks since Boko Haram has kidnapped girl students aged from 16-18 in Nigeria. Repor...

Who shall finally bridge the development gap In Kenya?

50 years after independence some counties in Kenya are marginalized and far from mainstream development. Article 204 of the Kenyan constitution provides for an equalization fund of 0.5% of the national budget to cover service provision and infrastructure development in marginalized areas. Ho...