#ChildNotBride! Give The Girl Child A PEN Not A PENIS

Publicado 20 de julio de 2013 Avatar kaymiUnicef

Avatar kaymiUnicef Ver Perfil
Se registró el día 28 de mayo de 2013

So, the most unexpected bill was passed by the Nigerian senate days ago, approving that the girl child, that is, the under-age girls should be allowed to marry!

They gave a legislative seal of approval for the marriage of underage girls - that means even a 5 year old toddler could be married off.

Really, why on earth would they consider such!

This is the most absurd thing any sane government could ever do. With the teeming number of teenage pregnancies and the social and health hazards that we are already battling with, one wonders if our law makers are really thinking at all.

Have they heard about obstructed labour due to small pelvis of the child mother?

Have they heard about Obstetric fistula that results from prolonged obstructed labour that makes the girl leak urine continuously and makes her a social outcast? Do they know that many of these children are divorced and driven out of their husbands’ homes because of this malady?

Well, following the adoption by the Senate, of the controversial child bride, aggrieved citizens have planned to stage protests in different states today.

Also, social media activists have taken to the various social media platforms to voice out their displeasure.

This has been the debate on different social media. A lot of us think, it's inhuman. Please give that child a pen for a bright future and NOT a PENIS.

We have so many petitions online, but you can sign THIS to support the on-going #ChildNotBride movement! Help protect the Nigerian #GirlChild

Let us Insist That Our Daughters Be Sent To School And Not To Infant Marriages.

Education is the bedrock of every society,and the education of the girl child is as important as that of her male counterpart.