A safer Internet for all

Publicado 5 de febrero de 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY Ver Perfil

Today is Safer Internet Day - a day of awareness-raising which started a few years ago and was originally mostly observed in Europe. Now it is used all around the world to promote a safer Internet environment for children.

The theme for the day is “connect with respect” and it is based on the idea that together with digital rights, come digital responsibilities. In the spirit of this theme we have come up with some suggestions for what a good digital citizen should and shouldn’t do. Let me know what you think and if you have any other suggestions?

BE CONSIDERATE: You have the right to express your views and opinions on social networks, blogs and comments…but you have the responsibility to respect the views of others, even if you may not agree. Don’t troll or post content that is offensive to others.

BE AWARE: You have the right to access information on the Internet that can help you with school work, planning your career, looking after your health or even just having fun…But be aware that not all the information on out there is true, accurate or legal.

BE TRUTHFUL: Don’t lie about your age. Don’t download illegal content or cheat by copying or buying essays or assignments from others.

BE CAUTIOUS: You have the right to meet new people who share your interest on the Internet…but avoid sharing personal information like your address, phone number or school that could put your safety at risk.

BE SAFE: You have the right to be safe from bullying or harassment in the online world….and you have the responsibility not to take part in the bullying of other by spreading rumors or posting and sharing hurtful or embarrassing stories or photos.

BE YOURSELF: You have the right to privacy…but respect the privacy of others by not logging into their accounts or using their phones or profiles without their permission.

BE SMART: Once you share a photo or a video it is hard to control what happens to it and who sees it. Think twice before you click ‘send’.