Bedrooms are Important

Publicado 14 de abril de 2014 no picture Kriyana Reddy

no picture Kriyana Reddy Ver Perfil
Se registró el día 25 de junio de 2013

http://news.distractify.com/culture/childrens-bedrooms-across-the-world/

Recently, I saw something posted on Facebook which was incredibly thought provoking. It wasn't some ornate tapestry, confounding riddle or joke I could not understand. Rather, it was a demonstration of the condition of the world through the medium of photography. I was appalled. The photos were not ugly or disgusting. Instead, I felt as if my place in the world was so detached from the places of others that they probably didn't even know if a life like mine was possible. In reality, the pictures were simple. The post was from Distractify, a website of photo threads, links, etc. Except this time, it wasn't really distracting; this actually needed my attention. If you would like to see it, visit the link at the top of the article.

Each picture in the post showed a child and his/her bedroom. Each child was from a different region of the world whether it be the Middle East, Africa or Asia. I was completely astonished at some of the images I saw. For example, a picture of a young Palestinian boy's bedroom looked more like a batting cage to me. There was sand in the background and some grunge/metallic 'style' going on. In all seriousness, it looked like a warzone. This contrasted immensely from the bedroom of, let's say, the average Tokyo boy. In it one could find food, a television, toys, etc. Also in this gallery were some politically provocative images. For instance, a picture of a Chinese boy's bedroom showed a dingy room with a small cot, some leaflets and magazines, and a red poster of Mao Zedong on the wall. Propaganda? Hmmmm....

Granted, these pictures do not represent the entirety of a population. If you look at the kid from USA, in particular Kentucky, you can see camouflage, camouflage and more camouflage. Did I mention the camouflage? On the other hand, another Japanese child's, this time a girl's, bedroom looked quite simple and minimalistic as is traditional in Japanese style.

Putting the humor aside, I saw something that was endearing and yet made me wonder about my own society. I saw the bedroom of a child in Senegal. Although the graphic picture of him holding a hatchet as identification struck me as truly legitimate to what is happening in Senegal at the moment, I was stunned by what I saw in the bedroom. There was not much; but what I did see was amazing. In the corner of the room was a pile of books, neatly stacked in their squalor and poor quality in all. Ah! Now that's an entirely different conversation altogether. It seems endearing that a child living in an extremely impoverished country still has books and access to some education, yet it struck me as embarrassing that few of America's teens will keep wholesome novels and study materials in their room; or atleast if they do, they take it for granted.

Let me know what you think! Comment below with your thoughts!

children youth developing countries UNICEF peace world africa countries asia poverty South America economy bedroom kid north america UNAID distress