Behind the Voices- "Youth have a large tank of relevant and brilliant ideas"

Publicado 6 de enero de 2014 Avatar JulieVOY

Avatar JulieVOY Ver Perfil
Se registró el día 30 de septiembre de 2013

Please introduce yourself (name, age, what you do, etc.):

My name is Chima Frankline Madu. I am 25 years old, from a family of 11 which is made up of my mum, dad, four boys and five girls. I hail from Imo State but currently live in Abuja-FCT, Nigeria. My hobbies are learning and trying new things, adventures, spending quality time with children, family and friends, helping people, swimming, watching interesting movies, and playing TV games, just to mention a few. I graduated this year as a law student, and am waiting to go to law school next year. Basically, I am a child rights advocate. I presently have a pet project called Child Rights Initiative, which I use as a platform to create awareness about the rights of a child and other issues that concern the welfare of children. I also volunteer with NGOs that work with children such as the Child Justice Clinic (CJC)-Abuja, Women Trafficking and Child Labour Eradication Foundation (WOTCLEF)-Abuja and Our Right Our Life (OROL) Youth Empowerment Initiative. It can be quite tedious but I love every bit of the experience.

What are the expectations of young people in your country or community?

Young people in Nigeria have so many expectations but I’ll just mention a few important ones.

Young people desire to see a corrupt free government where leaders are transparent and lead by example. Young people desire to see an effective educational system in Nigeria because the present system is saddening. Young people would also love to have a government that listens to them and one that takes active steps to make and implement better policies for them. Young people desire to have better job opportunities when they graduate from school. Lastly, they really desire to see a society that is safe and secure with little or no incidents of rape, armed robbery, bombings etc., especially among children.

Why is youth participation in today’s society very important/necessary?

“Train up a child in a way that when he grows up, he will not depart from it.”

I love this phrase so much and it sums up the importance of youth participation in today’s society. If youth are the future leaders of tomorrow, it is only wise for them to start participating in issues affecting today’s society because their experiences will equip them with better skills to become better leaders of tomorrow. Youth have a large tank of relevant and brilliant ideas that contribute towards advancing in today’s society.

Are you engaged in civic issues? If so, what do you do?

YES! I studied law so I always advocate for justice especially for children and the downtrodden.…….

What is your motto or your favorite expression?

MOTTO: Work hard as if all depended on you and pray hard as if all depended on God.

One of my favorite expressions: “When you were born you were crying and everyone else was smiling. Live your life so at the end, you’re the one who is smiling and everyone else is crying.”

Is there any advice or message you want to give to youth?

To all youth out there, let true love be a guiding principle in all you do. Try your best to do every little thing with so much love in your hearts. Be God fearing, be determined, be disciplined, be hardworking. Always consider work as a service to mankind and not just a source of income. If you are idle and bored at home, you probably haven’t found a noble cause worth dying for. Find something you have passion for and become an expert in it.

Go Behind the Posts! Here is a link to all of Chima's VOY posts: http://www.voicesofyouth.org/en/users/223231

behind the voices nigeria