Book Review: I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

Publicado 23 de agosto de 2014 no picture Grace O

no picture Grace O Ver Perfil
Se registró el día 26 de junio de 2014

I recently read "I am the Messenger" by Markus Zusak, and found it an engaging and poignant book.

“I am the Messenger”, written by Markus Zusak (author of “The Book Thief”), tells the tale of a drifting and listless teenager, Ed Kennedy. At first glance, Ed appears to be a complete loser. An underage cabdriver with not much of a future ahead of him, Ed spends most of his leisure time playing poker and pining helplessly over his best friend Audrey, who doesn’t even believe in love! In Ed's own words, he's "nineteen, a cab-driver, with no real career, no respect in the community, nothing". But when Ed unintentionally stops a bank robbery, he begins to receive a series of mysterious poker cards from an anonymous sender. Each card instructs Ed to carry out a chain of good deeds to seemingly random strangers, family, and friends. As Ed delves into different people’s lives, and helps them overcome their struggles, he is able to understand them in a whole new way, and helps them to discover a message that will alter their lives. As Ed completes each task, his life begins to change.

“I am the Messenger” is a heartwarming, charming book, that proves even the most ordinary and downtrodden of people can make huge changes with simple acts of kindness and love. It demonstrated how poignant a little act can be, and how changing people’s worlds can take as little as paying attention and spending time with them. Ed’s self-deprecating sense of humor, diffidence, and compassion make is a realistic and likeable protagonist. His transformation from a self absorbed nature into a confident, insightful young man show that you don’t have to be great to do good deeds, and every person needs a genuine friend. While the action is limited, the plot line is engaging, and the small acts of kindness that Ed carries out are touching, funny, and realistic. Zusak’s masterful writing makes “I am the Messenger” a beautiful read.

What books have you been reading recently?

inspire youth en Blogging Intern 2014 review book read