Celebrating a life well lived

Publicado 9 de diciembre de 2013 no picture Pontso SA

no picture Pontso SA Ver Perfil
Se registró el día 23 de agosto de 2013

South Africa and the world at large this week is celebrating the life of one of the global icons, former and first South African democratic president, Mr. Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela who passed away on Thursday the 5th of December 2013, at the age of 95.

Mr. Nelson Mandela is synonymous with peace, justice, reconciliation and humility. After spending 27 years in prison for the struggle against apartheid or racial segregation, he strove for a united South Africa where people would live together in peace and harmony and even strove for reconciliation by forgiving his oppressors. This larger than life man also had a great love for children and believed that education is the key to ending poverty in Africa, hence he invested much in children's well being and education ( through the Nelson Mandela children's fund) which he founded by using some of his presidential earnings. This is just one of the initiatives that show how selfless this man was.

As a way of mourning the loss and celebrating his life, there have been gatherings at various points across the country as well as interfaith prayers (abroad too) where people honored the memory of this great man with songs, poems and speeches. The man who stood by his values of equality, peace, and a better life for everyone. A father of the nation and a global icon. He will be laid to rest in his homeland of Qunu in the Eastern Cape on Sunday the 15th December 2013. Rest in Peace Madiba, your day is done, as Maya Angelou has said in her poem.

inspire children peace africa south africa Nelson Mandela reconcilitation