Celebrating the young talented filmmaker- Kenneth Gyang

Publicado 26 de diciembre de 2013 Avatar Mukhtar Muhammad

Avatar Mukhtar Muhammad Ver Perfil
Se registró el día 24 de diciembre de 2013

Kenneth Gyang, Winner of Best Director Africa Movie Academy Award(2013)

Nigeria and other African countries have been making strides in developing various human endeavors like the Entertainment Industry,Information Technology, Education Sector and many more important sectors. The Nigeria movie industry popularly known as Nollywood has been competing with its counterparts Hollywood and Bollywood in a race condition. Nollywood have numerous actors, filmmakers, directors, and scriptwriters who have done great work in skyrocketing the industry.

One of these filmmakers, Kenneth Gyang (who is also a director) has made a significant effort in taking the industry to the next level. Kenneth Gyang is a young filmmaker born in Barkin Ladi of Plateau State, Nigeria. He studied Film Production at the National Film Institute in Jos and screenwriting at Gaston Kaboré's IMAGINE in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso. Two of his short films as well as a script titled "Game of Life" were selected for the Berlinale Talent Campus 2006 and "Mummy Lagos"was well received as an official competition ."Mummy Lagos" was also selected for the Sithengi Talent Campus as part of the Cape Town World Cinema Festival in South Africa.He has won numerous awards due to his hardwork, experience, artistry and competence and has worked with many Nigerian actors and filmmakers. In his newly highly anticipated movie "Confusion Na Wa" produced under his production company Cinema Kpatakpata, the movie won awards for Best Picture and Best Film in the recently floated Africa Movie Academy Awards, he also won an award for Best Director for Confusion Na Wa.

The movie was casted with some of the illustrious actors of Nollywood, Ramsey Nouah (Winner of the Best Actor In a Leading Role AMAA,2010), Ali Nuhu (Winner of the Best Upcoming Actor AMAA 2006), OC Ukeje (Winner of the Best Upcoming Actor AMAA 2008) and some other upcoming actors in the movie. When Kenneth was asked in an interview how he felt working with the above actors, he said;

"They did and they greatly aided us in affording great screen personalities in the film. The thing is, we had a screenplay that works and we needed not only great actors but star vehicles to entice people into thinking about going to see the film in the first place. Ali Nuhu has consistenly performed with a resonating aplomb from his award-winning performance in Sitanda to TV series like Wetin Dey and Finding Aisha and a host of other films. Apart from being a performer, he’s a star.

Again, we looked around and Ramsey Nouah has been one actor who has always emerged with some credibility from mainstream Nollywood and some international productions. People always tend to pay attention to his good looks but apart from being a star with a handsome face which of course illuminates the camera, his talent and professionalism is incredible. There’s also OC Ukeje who has always delivered when called upon. Gold Ikponmwosa who eventually got a Best Supporting Actor nomination for his performance in our film also made huge sacrifices. All our actors and crew members took pay cuts and we’re grateful"

Other awards and honors won by Kenneth Gyang are;

His film "Omule" won Best Documentary Film at the 1st Nigerian Students International Film Festival in 2006 and "Mummy Lagos" also won Best Film at the Nigerian Field Society Awards organised by the German Cultural

Centre, Goethe-Institut, in Lagos as well as the Jury Special Mention at the ANIWA festival in Ghana.

In 2006 he was profiled by the influential UK-based BFM magazine as the youngest film director in Nigeria. Kenneth has worked with the BBC World Service Trust directing their highly quality TV drama "Wetin Dey" which was recently presented at the International Emmy World Television Festival in New York City. He has also worked with Communicating For Change as an Associate Producer on Bayelsian Silhouettes - a series of seven short films on HIV/AIDS. His most recent work is Finding Aisha, a TV series he co-wrote, produced and directed for the Nigerian production company Televista.

In 2010 Kenneth was listed by the popular Nigerian youth culture magazine, Y!, as one of 50 people under the age of 35 that will change Nigeria.

youth nigeria youth media Kenneth Gyang