Climate Change and Child-led

Publicado 30 de marzo de 2014 Avatar Brighton_EduConnect_Zambia

Avatar Brighton_EduConnect_Zambia Ver Perfil

Climate Ambassadors during a climate change awareness compaign at Buteko Primary School in Luanshya.

The Zambian economy is predominantly based on the exploitation of the country's natural resources. The adverse effects of climate conditions to which the country is overtly exposed to affects these resources. Climate-induced changes to physical and biological systems are already being felt and exerting considerable stress on the country's vulnerable sectors. Already, the country's sensitive sectors - agriculture and food security, wildlife, forestry, water and energy, and human health have been adversely affected by climate change, thereby significantly affecting the economic, social, and environmental dimensions of our national sustainable development.

It is in this regard that Luanshya based Child Climate Ambassadors with the support of Wildlife and Environmental Conservation Society of Zambia and UNICEF have embarked on a robust climate change adaptation programme aimed at empowering children and young people coming up with climate change adaptation strategies. In creating public awareness of the adverse effects of climate change, the Child Ambassadors have begun raising awareness in both Primary and Secondary schools, with Buteko Primary School being the first school visited by the Ambassadors in the month of March. Furthermore, on World Water Day, the Ambassadors in collaboration with the Municipality of Luanshya planted trees along the banks of Makoma Dam in Launshya.

Environment Zambia tree planting climate ambassadors connect programme luanshya climate change awareness