DAVID'S HOPE & RESCUE CENTER

Publicado 15 de septiembre de 2011 Avatar DAVID'S HOPE & RESCUE CENTER

Avatar DAVID'S HOPE & RESCUE CENTER Ver Perfil
Se registró el día 15 de septiembre de 2011

INTRODUCTION

Every child in this world, either from east or west has a right to good food, safe drinking water, shelter, clothing, health care and an education. It is regrettable that the majority of children in developing countries lack most of the above, if not all. Some go without a meal for days on end, while others live in slums where healthcare is unheard of, hence exposing them to a lot of health hazards. No person, let alone a child should be forced to live in these conditions.

The Kenyan child is no exception from the above cases, especially with;

•Years of drought has left thousands of people with failed crops and little to no access to drinking water. This has increased malnutrition and mortality in children.

•The 2007/2008 post election skirmishes which left thousands of children orphaned and vulnerable after their parents and relatives were murdered by fighting communities

•High levels of HIV/AIDS related cases resulting in young children being left in the care of the aged population, who are unable to look after them

•High levels of poverty with nearly 7.5 million people (1/4 of the population) still earning less than one dollar a day. This has resulted in high numbers of; o Malnutrition o Illiteracy o Street families o Drug and alcohol abuse o Teenage pregnancy o Child abuse, exploitation, neglect and abandonment o And, early death from preventable diseases, such as malaria, cholera, TB, typhoid and measles. The average life expectancy in Kenya is only 53 years old.

BACKGROUND David's Hope & Rescue Center (DHRC) started as a dream In 2008, David Onyango Ochola from Kenya was inspired by the Spirit of God, who at the time was a student of Bible and Theology/Counseling at Karen Christian College in Kenya, which during his time used to volunteer around Nairobi to work in orphanages and children’s home.

David would always visit orphanages to visit the children and he wondered what he can do to help these underprivileged kids. It was here that he dreamed of providing these children with a loving home, an education and some much needed medical care.

David kept the dream alive of one day building a home. After further discussions with his friends and the family members he decided to contact the volunteers that he befriended during her time working as a volunteer. Nearly everyone He contacted said that it was also a dream of their own and would help out in any way possible.

In 2009, David and his mother was left with the task of taking care of his siblings and the children of his uncles who died. He was having a big task of looking food for 20 children and clothing's, medical and shelter, education and other basic needs. This he deed with the support of some of his friends whom he had been studying with at the Theological school until June 2011 when he was away in Rwanda Kigali for a Mission to preach and teach youths, when he came back he found her mother had found five children on the bus stop next to where they live in Kisumu. This children were hopeless, hungry and looking very regretful why they were born.

Her Mother took them home and did report to the Authorities, but after thorough investigation, it was found that they are among the children left behind after the death of their parent in 2007/08 post election violence. David decided to remain with them and he is now taking care of 25 children at their home.

THE PROPOSAL:

Mission and Policy Statement

To provide a stable foundation that is rooted in education and health care for orphaned, vulnerable, deprived and destitute children who have lost their own family.( This means to endeavor provide a loving and safe, family environment that enables children the right to a happy, educated, skilled and healthy life).

Aims and Objectives

•Provide love, food, shelter, clothing, education, safe drinking water, medical care and career opportunities to orphaned, deprived and destitute children

•Help cut down the number of street children in the Kenyan society

•Reduce HIV/AIDS related cases, through education and prevention

•Improve access to education for underprivileged children, by creating a sponsorship program

•Help children who are not academically inclined to acquire technical skills, which will allow them to support themselves in the future

•Continue the close working relationship with Government Rescue Centers and Children’s Homes in order to help provide the local community with the fundamentals needed in their society.

GOALS •Build a home that will raise, nurture and re-rehabilitate children, aged 2 and above.

•Employee trained, knowledgeable and caring staff to guide the children down the right paths

•Utilize the land in a way that it will become self-sustainable by growing our own crops, buy milking cows, install a rainwater tank and by creating a poultry farm

•Create an NGO (non-government organization) that will provide a volunteer program, child sponsorship program and also to assist in fundraising

•Gain constant sources of funding to maintain the project.

THE HOME

DHRC has acquired 10 acres of land on the outskirts of the town of Kisumu, in Nyanza Province , Kenya. The land is lush and fertile, which will provide us with excellent conditions to make our home as self-sustainable as possible. We plan to build up to 6 homes and a community centre on our land. Each house will act as an individual home, with up to 10 children (boys and girls) and a house mama. Each home will comprise of male and female bed and bathrooms, a bedroom for the house mama, living area, dining room, kitchen, store and laundry.

There will also be a two storey community center with two training classroom, a library, computer room, TV/DVD room and a small medical clinic/store downstairs and an office and volunteer wing upstairs. Eventually we would like to run educational class not only for our children and staff, but for the surrounding community as well.

There will also be a large playing field, a small poultry farm and a communal shamba (farm) with crops such as maize, cabbage, spinach, potatoes, carrots, bananas, and avocado and mango trees. As time progress, we would like to manage and sell our crops and eggs to provide us with more funding.

THE CHILDREN

The majority of children will come to our homes from Government Rescue Centers, via the Kenyan Children’s Court. Children are placed into these centers by government officials after they have lost their families for one reason or another and have no one else to care for them. Some have lost their families due to ill health, death, or abandonment; some have run away due to the abuse and desperation within their own homes, or some are simply lost. Most of the children have been taken off the streets by police and brought to these Rescue Centers.

After all avenues of tracing for their parents or relatives to care for the children have been exhausted, David's Hope & Rescue Centre(DHRC) will take these children into our homes and care for them as if they were our own. They will attend a nearby public primary school, from grade 1 to 8, and then attend a boarding secondary school (grade 9 to 12). We will also provide vocational training for those children not academically inclined. Nursery classes will be held at the home. This home will always be there for the children, even when they leave to pursue their own dreams. They will always be able to call it their home.

We will provide everything a child needs to prepare themselves to gain the most they can out of life. Counseling will be a high priority as these children have been through more hardship then most of us can imagine.

MEDICAL CARE

The children will attend a nearby medical clinic/hospital when they fall ill. There will be a small medical clinic/store on site. All staff working at DHRC will be trained in Senior First Aid so minor injuries and illnesses can be treated at home. In time DHRC would like to extend their clinic to the surrounding community.

QUALIFIED STAFF

All staff working for DHRC will be qualified, caring and professionals. Additional training will be provided to our staff including, sensitivity training, cultural diversity awareness, HIV/AIDS awareness and prevention, emergency and safety procedures and hygiene awareness. This will provide them with skills to teach, communicate and build relationships with the children as well as the volunteers within their placement.

VOLUNTEER PLACEMENT

A volunteer placement program has been established since the home is up and running. The program is allowing persons from our global community to experience DHRC and the Kenyan lifestyle.

Volunteers will stay at the children’s home, but have their own area in the community center. They will be involved with the day to day running of one of the homes, helping the house mum with household chores, preparing the children for school, teaching/educating, counseling, playing and of course provide some much needed love and care. Simply being there for the children is one of the best things you can offer, as it brings the biggest smile to their little faces.

There is an opportunity for the volunteers to see the beauty that Kenya has to offer. Having a well-rounded approach to volunteering in Kenya will enhance the quality of the lives that participate on the program, the children and the Kenyan tourism industry.

Any volunteer wishing to be placed at DHRC has to undergo an application process before placement is approved. This is a safety measure to protect all parties involved. Volunteers will be asked to pay a fee to DHRC, which will provide them with housing, meals, cultural sensitivity and diversity training. A caretaker will ease them through their time spent in Kenya.

ESTIMATED FUNDING NEEDED

DHRC is starting from square one. There will be the costs of constructing the home and fence, plus the purchase of a vehicle. There will also be monthly maintenance costs, all of which is described below.

SUMMARY OF THE PROPOSAL FOR THE NEEDED FUNDS

We have already acquired the land estimated 10 actres

Getting started------------------------------------------------- $ 9,160.00

Community Center Construction----------------------------- $ 31,300.00

Childrens Houses Construction------------------------------ $ 22,500.00

Monthly Maintenance Cost------------------------------------- $ 2,000.00

Total Start Fund needed in US----------------------------------------------- $ 64,960.00

PROPOSED SOURCES OF FUNDING

DHRC is looking for separate entities to sponsor and fund an individual home. Each home will be dedicated to the sponsor who will be allowed to choose its name and will be responsible for the building and monthly costs of their home. They can choose to be as involved in the project as they wish.

We are looking to gain sponsorship and support from international donor agencies and charities for the costs of building and maintaining the community center. We will run fundraising events and will also have monthly supporters helping to fund our monthly maintenance costs. We call upon to whoever or any organization who feels to organize a fundraising campaign for us to feel free to contact us and also to do so.

Funds will be generated locally via several small projects on the land i.e the poultry farm. Crops will be grown to cut down on costs and to become as self reliant and sustainable as possible.

FUNDRAISING IDEAS ( You can choose to use to support us) • Place a donation jar at your workplace • Raffles • Poker / casino / games nights • Trivia nights • Barbeque day / night • Music / comedy nights • Golf tournament day • Car boot market • Bingo nights • Sponsored run – Half marathon, marathons

Contact Person
Mr. David Onyango Ochola Program Founder/ Director, P.O.Box 24787-00502 Karen Nairobi, Kenya, Tell: +254 (0) 724929557, Email: missionary_hovden07@hotmail.com