Education is key to peace and social development

Publicado 9 de febrero de 2012 no picture

Currently, more than 1.5 billion people live in fragile and conflict-affected states. Children living in armed conflict are subject to violence, deprived of basic needs and robbed of developmental opportunities, including a quality education. A recent report, The Role of Education in Peacebuilding: A synthesis report of findings from Lebanon, Nepal and Sierra Leone, commissioned by UNICEF and written by Mario Novelli of the University of Sussex and Alan Smith of the University of Ulster, provides evidence that education can be a catalyst for peace and highlights the need for education sectors to integrate a peacebuilding perspective.

To discuss the findings of the report and the role of education in building sustainable peace, podcast moderator Kathryn Herzog spoke with Mr. Novelli, author of the report; Jim Rogan, UNICEF’s Chief of Peacebuilding and Recovery Section; and Louise Anten, Head of the Education and Research Division in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Government of the Netherlands.

To listen to the podcast, please click here!