ENERGY is a HUMAN RIGHT!

Publicado 18 de febrero de 2014 no picture Simran_GEMConnect_Chennai_India

no picture Simran_GEMConnect_Chennai_India Ver Perfil

When it comes to discussions on human rights, everyone focuses on the right to life, right to clothing, right to housing, right to work, equality, freedom of expression and so on. No one really cares about electricity. Can you imagine a day without electricity? Oh, come on! We get depressed if we don’t get internet for a day!

The problem is it is considered a privilege. When we talk about electricity, we think of it as a “want” such as for using computers, televisions and air conditioners. You don’t use it only for these “comforts.” It is a basic “need” for human development. How can you consider something you use every single day a privilege?

It helps to realise human rights. Access to electricity affects:

- Right to work – it improves working conditions.

- Right to education – it helps in developing better schools. Lack of electricity reduces the ability of students to study after dark.

- Right to health – it helps to run medical equipment necessary for treatment.

- Right to standard of living

Moreover, lack of electricity interrupts irrigation and manufacturing in turn affecting the economy.

In a landmark ruling, the madras high court has said that electricity supply is a legal right and its denial is a violation of human rights. This ruling was given after noting that lack of electricity leads to economic disparity and inequality in society leading to poverty. Don’t you agree that electricity is a human right?

developing countries human rights health poverty GEM GEM Human Rights