Family Health Days bring Ugandans the routine medical care they need

Publicado 4 de marzo de 2013 User_image_bg Yusuf Atef and Anne Lydia Sekandi

KABAROLE, Uganda, 4 March 2013 – Priscilla Tusima, a mother of two, used to worry a lot about her children falling sick with diarrhoea, malaria and other diseases. As her family lives in a remote area in western Uganda, where health facilities are lacking, she found it hard to access basic medical care.

With the introduction of Family Health Days, however, Priscilla and her family can now receive the care and attention they need.

Providing integrated services

UNICEF Uganda, in partnership with the Ministry of Health and faith-based organizations, has instituted Family Health Days, during which an integrated package of health interventions is offered at various places of worship for free.

“I heard on the radio that there are Family Health Days which offer services in the mosque and churches,” says Ms. Tusima. “That is why I decided to come to bring my children so they can be immunized and checked.”

Targeting hardship areas

Family Health Days are organized every four months. They are held after religious services on Fridays and Sundays.

They target the general population in hardship areas, where access to healthcare is limited. Services offered range from immunization and birth registration of children under 5 years old to free antenatal care for mothers, deworming and blood pressure checks for fathers accompanying their spouses.

Eliminating barriers

District Health Officer for Kabarole Dr. Richard Mugahi discusses the critical role of the participating faith-based organizations. “Religious leaders play an important role in mobilizing communities to access medical services. After prayers in church or the mosques, families receive routine services like immunization, which they could have missed.”

Through Family Health Days, traditional barriers to healthcare, such as long distances, have been eliminated. Communities are mobilized through radio announcements and awareness activities prior to the actual campaign days. The medical services provided, which are attracting large numbers of participants, are truly bringing much-needed relief and improving the lives of many across the country.