Help Syrian Refugees

Publicado 9 de octubre de 2013 no picture HNashawi

no picture HNashawi Ver Perfil
Se registró el día 9 de octubre de 2013

My name is Hala Nashawi and I am a senior at Mansfield Frontier High School in Texas. I am currently working on a senior project required for graduation relative to my program of study which is health science.

The goal of my project is to increase awareness about infection control in Syrian refugee camps. The Syrian refugees have suffered from several cases of Tuberculosis, Hepatitis A, Lice, Scabies, and the skin disease Leishmaniasis. Poor living conditions and overcrowding lead to infection spreading diseases and people who can become easily infected. Preventing infection through education and proper hygiene is important to help people recover from illness and stay as healthy as possible.

I am Syrian therefore, I am passionate about my senior project over Syrian refugee camps because seeing what is happening to my people breaks my heart. Prior to working on this project, I would hear about the spread of infections and diseases in the camps all over the Arab news, but never knew how I could help. Living in America, I have had numerous privileges that many people in the world can only dream of and I would like give back.

My way of helping the Syrians who are in dire need of medical attention is by creating hygiene kits and a pamphlet educating the refugees to be shipped to a Syrian Refugee camp. For my research, I need to interview the community so if anybody would like to answers theses questions I would greatly appreciate it. Let's see how educated you are!!!

1.Why is it important to control the spread of infectious diseases like Lice, Scabies, Tuberculosis, Cholera, and Hepatitis A?

2. What makes refugees more prone to communicable diseases like infections?

3. What do you think is the most effective way to prevent/control the spread of infectious diseases in general? In refugee camps?

4. Why is it important to educate people about infection control?

5. What age group do you see the most infections in? Why?

6. How do you control and prevent.....

a. TB

b. cholera

c. Lice and Scabies

d. Hepatitis A

e. Leishmaniasis

Please include your name and what country/state you are from if possible.