HIV AND GENDER EQUALITY

Publicado 4 de marzo de 2014 no picture ANTHONY_CONNECT_ZAMBIA

no picture ANTHONY_CONNECT_ZAMBIA Ver Perfil

HIV is the leading cause of death and disease among women aged 15-49 years worldwide. Globally, there are equal proportions of women and men living with HIV, although this varies from region to region. Gender practices, norms and values also influence sexuality, reproduction and relationships. For example, unequal gender relations make it difficult for women and girls to make choices about sex, as well as increasing their vulnerability to violence, early marriage and adverse sexual and reproductive health outcomes, and contributing to intergenerational and transactional sex. Gender stereotyping, social marginalization and violence all increase the vulnerability and risk of young men who have sex with men (MSM) and trans gender people, which can lead to stigma, marginalization and violence in educational settings and across the wider community

In contrast, evidence from a range of countries suggests that young people with gender equitable attitudes have better sexual health outcomes than those with less equal attitudes. This includes higher rates of condom and contraceptive use and lower rates of intimate partner violence, unintended pregnancies or HIV.

hiv gender health Zambia #Connect