How do you feel the media represents disability?

Publicado 13 de marzo de 2013 Avatar Francisca Lily

Avatar Francisca Lily Ver Perfil
Se registró el día 26 de diciembre de 2012

I have started to investigate the way in which contemporary media represents disability (more specifically physical disability).

After taking a closer look, I have realised that the media plays a huge role in society. Whether it be through radio, internet or broadcasts the media has a huge influence upon society. In my own opinion I do feel that the media does unfairly represent persons with disability. The mass media audience, I wonder what views they may have of persons with a disability?

I also have noticed the lack of representation of persons with disability that occurs. I believe that although suffering from a disability may be perceived as a disadvantage, the advantages that are offered are great! For example putting the use of ones energy into the arts, or sports.

A quote by Epictetus I agree strongly with… “Do you think that anybody can damage your soul? Then why are you so embarrassed? I laugh at those who think they can damage me. They do not know who I am, They do not know what I think, They cannot even touch the things which are really mine and with which I live”.

This to me can be lived by daily, it provides opportunity to feel free from society’s judgements.

So how do you feel the media represents disability and its effect on people?

Photo: © UNICEF/BANA2012-01440/AHSAN KHANBANGLADESH, 2012An autistic child takes part in an early stimulation program for children between 2 to 5 years at the the Autism Welfare Foundation in Dhaka on 15 October 2012.

Disability human rights media thisability