How to build up sustainable practices in event management through ‘event greening’

Publicado 23 de agosto de 2012 no picture Jason

no picture Jason Ver Perfil
Se registró el día 18 de julio de 2012

Event greening can be described in many ways, the most common definition is the method used to put together an event that takes into account environmental concerns. The main objective is to discover new ways as to how the industry as a whole can limit the impact of its activities surrounding events.

Sustainability in event management integrates both socially and environmentally friendly decision making into event planning, organising and the implementation processes. The responsible decision making should happen at the start of the project and include all key stakeholders such as clients and organisers.

The events industry’s most problematic sustainability problems revolve around its increasing energy use and landfill waste which have a significant impact on the environment.

Event management firms are increasingly working towards reducing the impact of their business activities on the environment and action plans have already been put together by most companies.

Reducing the impact on the environment

The majority of companies are in the process of reviewing events at each stage of the planning process and identifying the main environmental impact that they may have, then introducing targets and objectives on measurable things such as greenhouse gas emissions, energy consumption right through to waste and recycling.

Here are some of the ways to help your company become greener:

Reducing business travel

To cut the emissions generated from travel and to become more efficient, companies can choose to hold internal meetings over the internet.

Reducing the impact on the environment

Monitoring changes in legislation

Ensure that you are up to date with any changes in environmental legislation.

Cycle to work scheme

Reduce the amount of carbon emissions and put a cycle to work scheme into practice.

Switch off

Ensure that all electrical items in the office are switched off at the end of the day to save energy.

Going paperless

Printing can be significantly reduced if employees save electronic copies of the documents relating to events instead of printing them.

Recycling

Install paper, plastics, aluminium, cardboard collection points around the office.

Limiting the use of company cars

Evaluate how many company cars are needed by business by checking out the mileage and use, you can then remove company cars where appropriate and help to reduce carbon emissions.

Water conservation

Cut down on the amount of water used at events.

Sustainability offers a number of advantages:

• Raise awareness: the events provide the ideal place for raising awareness amongst participants, staff, suppliers and other interested parties about the advantages of sustainable living.

• Return on investment: By focusing on greening, you will not only become more efficient but also increase strategic opportunities.

• Social benefits: all depend on the event, it could help the local region to provide jobs, promote better working conditions and become a core reference for social improvement.

• Improving efficiency: Saving energy, limiting waste and buying local products.

• Increased brand reputation: it clearly illustrates the organisations commitment to the environment.

Potential clients may be more influenced to use an event management agency who is dedicated to becoming green than others that aren’t.

Measuring and evaluating are crucial parts of event greening, and should be used constantly to look at ways of improving efficiency at events.