How to keep children safe in a 24\7 digital world

Publicado 31 de marzo de 2014 no picture Katongo_VOY_CONNECT

no picture Katongo_VOY_CONNECT Ver Perfil
Se registró el día 3 de diciembre de 2013

Technology makes it so easy for kids to connect and share things with friends and family no matter where they are. But these connections can come with a huge cost if kids aren’t careful. Learning to protect personal identity information, creating strong passwords, and being cautious when downloading programs and files are crucial to the safety and security of the digital devices kids use, as well as the information those devices store. Otherwise, kids can expose themselves and their families to digital threats like computer viruses, data and identity theft, and hacking.To understand digital safety and security, you’ll need to learn some new words: phishing, malware, spyware, spam, and yes, even junk. These greedy little programs attach themselves to respectable-looking software – for example, a downloadable game that looks really cool – and then wreak havoc once installed on your computer. Security programs can block them, but one of the most important weapons is teaching kids to treat their devices and information as the truly valuable things they are.

If kids don’t protect their personal information, there are many potential risks: damage to the hardware, identity theft, or financial loss. But children may not realize they are putting their information in jeopardy, because the warning signs aren’t always obvious. Here are some tips that can help you stay safe online.

Be very careful with what you download. Don’t download free games or videos to your computer. These programs often come with spyware and viruses that will land your computer in the shop – and you in hot water.

Know the difference between information worth sharing and private information. There are many ways you can share your ideas and creativity online, but personal information should remain private. Never input personal identity information such as phone numbers, addresses, or your date of birth in order to download something. And never, ever give Social Security numbers or credit card information.

Master the fine art of password creation. It can actually be fun to develop really good passwords. (See more details on how to do this below.) Strong passwords are a key defense against unauthorized access to your information, as well as identify theft.

Reblogged from: https://www.commonsensemedia.org/blog/help-your-kids-stay-safe-and-secure-in-a-247-digital-world

technology data identity theft digital safety internet security computer password protection