Leadership for successful acceleration of Rio+20

Publicado 20 de junio de 2012 Avatar Saurav Raj Pant

Avatar Saurav Raj Pant Ver Perfil
Se registró el día 5 de junio de 2012

Many people have been lifted out of poverty and its distribution have been unequally distributed which had made global income inequality huge. Food crisis has been growing within the 3 years and now in famine in Somalia. This problem further classifies that inequality prevents stability, unhealthy productive investment, government ill vision for the financial crisis from which the world is suffering a lot. The broken Global food crisis shows the failure of policies, seems that they are not incorporated with natural resources we depend, and fails to address resulting vulnerabilities. Underlining this fact, Rio+20 must be able to overturn these trends.

Many things had changed since the Earth Summit in 1992, little bit achievement have been achieved especially in Asia and Latin America, they have escaped from the poverty and looking even sustainable way to move around. However, after the 20 years major concern is about inhabitants are under increasing pressure. Tackling these issues and challenges need a ‘sustainable’ approach where by we can set the new ground for the future. Greening economies is now widely spoken concept and how we can shift the contemporary economic model in to the green economy. Secondly, Gender inequality remains the obstacles to achieve sustainable development goal which has prevent them from the participation in the decision making level at all levels and made further excluded from the meaningful input in to social, economic and environment decisions that affects them.

From Earth Summit in 1992 to present time, the landscapes of the planet have changed drastically. It seems that we are lacking behind in the international dialogue and commitments. Especially, power blocs are out of the Carbon neutral policy and developing world denied it thinking this could directly affect their economic growth. The least developed countries are more vulnerable to the planet destruction. Specially, the Himalayas are on the vicious cycle of global climate change. The innovative financing on climate is lacking and government of this world lacks in international dialogue to lobby for this. In this historic time, Least Developed Countries (LDCs) must have intervention on this issue.

Various countries are preparing their priorities areas for the successful ‘landing’ of this historic summit. Moreover, every countries priorities area includes:

• Shifting current economic model to ‘Greening’ economies • Global Food Security • Sustainable Development Goal/Sustainable Development Education • Accelerating International Dialogue • Financing on Climate Change and Poverty eradication • Energy access for all

Rio+20 must go successful facilitation and defining vision on green principles. Moreover, today food, energy and agriculture are the important areas where Rio+20 should work on it. European Union (E.U), G-77, African Union (A.U), BRICS, GRULAC, ALBA, OPEC, LDCs, Arab Union, SIDS, OPEC etc. are the international Negotiating Groups and Interest Group where they will be going to input their priorities and lobby for them. Among them, European Union which comprises of 27 member states who prepare their positions before taking part in the negotiations holds the strong negotiating skills which are tightly knit knock enough to capable of presenting common positions than any other groups.