Live below the line - HOW DOES IT WORK?

Publicado 30 de abril de 2012 Avatar Etienne

Avatar Etienne Ver Perfil
Se registró el día 2 de marzo de 2011

So you want to Live Below the Line, but you’re not sure what you’re getting yourself into. Ok so here are the basics:

From May 7th – 11th, you can spend no more than US$1.50 (or the equivalent in your country) a day on food and drink.

This means you have a total of US$7.50 with which to buy all ingredients for your meals.

The full cost of all the items you consume must be included in your budget. This means budgeting for whole packages of food such as rice, pasta, noodles and eggs etc.

For items such as salt, pepper, herbs and spices, simply work out the cost of each item per ounce and budget your shopping proportionally. Separate your items before the challenge so there’s no need to be digging around in your pantry.

One of the easiest ways to partake in the challenge is to share the cost of ingredients amongst a team, as long as no participant spends more than US$1.50 a day or their total US$7.50 budget. Working as a team will allow you to pool together funds and do more with your cooking.

You can’t grab a snack from the pantry unless you include the cost of buying the item new in your budget.

You can use food sourced from your garden as long as you can account for the price of production!

No combination of meals on any given day can exceed the U$1.50 spending limit. Remember this is a challenge to eat creatively – don’t at any point deprive yourself of three meals a day.

You cannot accept ‘donated’ food from family or friends, but monetary donations towards your fundraising goals are acceptable, and encouraged!

You are allowed to drink tap water – remember you should try and drink at least 6-8 glasses of water each day.

Looks easy huh?