Me and my Nepal

Publicado 3 de julio de 2014 no picture PoonamVOY

no picture PoonamVOY Ver Perfil
Se registró el día 28 de junio de 2014

My first post is dedicated to my country Nepal. First of all, I am very glad to get the golden opportunity to be the UNESCO VOY intern. I want to thank the organization for providing me with this great opportunity.

I belong to the small beautiful south Asian nation of the globe Nepal, with a wide range of natural & cultural beauty. We have unique cultures & traditions of 123 ethnic groups (census, 2011). Mt. Everest & Lumbini, birthplace of Lord Buddha, are our pride. Many magnificent snow capped mountains in the north stand as our roof, green hills in the middle as walls & green Terai belt (also known as Food Bank of Nepal) as green carpet of our nation, makes Nepal a beautiful garden with wide range of diverse biodiversity. Nepal is the second richest nation of the world in water resources. Nepalese people are also famous for their hospitality to the guests as we believe in “ATITHI DEVO VABHA”, meaning ‘Guests are like Gods’.

Unfortunately Nepal is a country bearing lots of problems due to climate change. Temperature rise here is 0.6 degree Celsius on average. The snow in the Himalayas is melting & glacier outbursts are prominent. Natural calamities have become common & the health of people is highly degrading by epidemics that break out time & again. Rainfall patterns have greatly changed & agricultural production is decreasing & vegetation shift is occurring. Rhododendrons bloom before season & mosquitoes are traced even in the Everest base camp. Along them a lots of noticed & unnoticed changes are occurring due to climate change.

So my first post is to make an APPEAL to all the global citizens to reconsider about climate change. Our everyday actions of using ACS or refrigerators have long term consequences in the global warming. Our one thoughtful action of planting & protecting a tree or even closing taps while brushing can help our planet to be saved against degradation. Maybe our efforts may seem small at present but if we, all global citizens unite to mitigate effects of climate change then one day our small efforts can prove themselves to be the drastic step to protect the only living planet, Earth.

So, LET’S UNITE TO PROTECT OUR PLANET SO THAT WE CAN HANDOVER A CLEAN AND GREEN EARTH TO OUR FUTURE GENERATIONS.

UNESCO earth planet nepal Blogging Intern 2014 UNESCO VOY intern