Media Education: Make it Happen! @iam_omovbude

Publicado 28 de febrero de 2014 no picture Victor Ehi-Brown

no picture Victor Ehi-Brown Ver Perfil

Share your thoughts!

Share your thoughts!

Media education is the process through which individuals become media literate - able to critically understand the nature, techniques and impacts of media messages and productions.

In Canadian schools, there is a growing awareness for the need to connect classroom learning to the real world and to bring media content into the classroom for analysis, evaluation and discovery. Media education acknowledges and builds on the positive, creative and pleasurable dimensions of popular culture. It incorporates production of media texts and critical thinking - decoding, analysing, synthesising and evaluating media - to help us navigate through an increasingly complex media landscape. That landscape includes not only traditional and digital media, but also popular culture texts such as toys, fads, fashion, shopping malls and theme parks. Media education encourages an approach that is always probing, posing questions such as:

Who is the audience of a media production and why?

From whose perspective is a story being told?

How do the unique elements and codes of a specific genre affect what we see, hear or read?

How might different audiences interpret the same media production?

In the digital age, the principles of media education are the same as they've always been, but the existence of cyberspace is adding new and challenging questions. How, for instance, does technology affect, how we relate to others? Is new technology enriching or undermining culture, learning and a sense of community? What roles do ownership, control and access play? What are the challenges in regulating a global, border less medium like the Internet?

Media education isn't about having the right answers: rather, it's about asking the right questions. Because media issues are complex

and often contradictory and controversial, the educator's role isn't to impart knowledge, but to facilitate the process of inquiry and dialogue.

This role of the teacher as a facilitator and co-learner in a student-centred learning process is not only the model for media education; it has also become an accepted new critical pedagogy.

Today, the chief challenges are to locate and evaluate the right information for one's needs and to synthesise what one finds into useful knowledge or communication. Media education - with techniques of critical thinking, creative communication and computer, visual and aural

literacy skills at its core - is a key part of a 21st century approach to learning.

--Key Concepts Of Media Education--

1. Media are constructions

Media products are carefully constructed. They are created with a purpose and from a particular perspective, using specific forms

and techniques. Media literacy works towards de-constructing these products, taking them apart to show how they are made and exploring the decisions and factors behind them.

2. Audiences negotiate meaning

We all bring our own life experience, knowledge and attitudes to the media we encounter. Each person makes sense of what he or she sees and hears in different ways. Media literacy encourages us to understand how individual factors, such as age, gender, race and social status affect our interpretations of media.

3. Media have commercial implications

Most media production is a business and must, therefore, make a profit. In addition, media industries belong to a powerful network of

corporations that exert influence on content and distribution. Questions of ownership and control are central because a relatively small number of individuals control what we watch, read and hear in the media.

4. Ideological messages under-pin all media

Explicitly or implicitly, the mainstream media convey ideological messages and notions of values, power and authority. In media

literacy, what or who is absent may be more important than what or who is included

Media Education gives provision for an advance system of learning which is attributed to what is shown, read or seen, and critically analysing the basic concepts it portrays and looking out for the society, environment,and youths- And how it affects them.

I solely believe that the appropriate agreement to facilitate the issues of media education will enrich the youths, organisations and other non-governmental body, to understand better and evaluate the criteria needed for a positive ground in the world. With young people being educated on Media, (at schools- formal or non-formal), seminars and other possible outlet, there's an influence for a brighter notion and censorship of the media, which will go a long way to encourage the right to show what is good to the society.

With Media Education, we all stand a chance to know the main issues we can't solve and try to make amends. Educating young boys and girls on Media prospects will help this jet age criticise illegal notions and seek for a better way to resolve the turmoil raised. Today we have almost 75% of services rendered (on Radio, Television and Internet), encouraging vain acts without benefits and in turn this destroys the objectives of a youth. With Media Literacy we know what to do! Who to query, what is supposed to be displayed? And also foster a body to govern the censorship of the media, for a better tomorrow.

We all can learn through the Media, thus Educating more than a handful of youths will give us, the fervent right to speak on media prospects and the right to make a change.

Reblogged from: http://www.medialiteracyweek.ca/en/101_whatis.htm

youth education media social media awareness