Meet our VOY mappers from Buenos Aires!

Publicado 6 de noviembre de 2013 no picture

Se registró el día 1 de abril de 2013

Buenos Aires is the latest city where young people are taking to the streets with smartphones to map environmental hazards in their community as part of Voices of Youth Maps. Meet Maria and Romina, two of the 20 young people who’ve been trained this past month.

Stay tuned to VOY for more updates and follow UNICEF Argentina on Twitter (@UNICEFargentina)

Maria E. 18 years old

Why did you decide to participate in the project?

So that I can show that there are problems in our neighborhood and that there are solutions.

What do you consider are the major problems of the neighborhood?

The streets are in a bad condition and flood when it rains, making it impossible to travel. There’s also the lack of light, dirty water, sewers, river edge cleaning, insecurity, and waste that gets thrown into the coast of the river.

Having encountered the problems that you mentioned, if you had the tools and resources, how do you think it would be able to be solved?

In terms of infrastructure, the streets can improve so that they do not flood; put up street lights; collect trash from trucks that pass through the neighborhood because today you can't pass due to the bad condition of the streets; and for insecurity there need to be more patrol units.

What expectations do you have for this project?

That it can address these problems and include the youth of the neighborhood to work to make it a better place.

Romina C. 19 years old

I decided to participate because this project seems very interesting and creative. It is a brilliant idea and it has the power to expand to the rest of the world. It is an amazing experience to be able to help others and rejuvenate your mind.

There are many, as in any place with a lack of resources. There is crime…lack of public healthcare; and the streets in bad conditions and little light. We need better education and understanding of citizens in the neighborhood.

Understanding children and improving the education for the children. There also needs to be improvement of the streets and more circulation of patrol cars.

I believe that this project could solve the identified problems by providing the perspective of adolescents. I hope that adolescents become aware that they too can contribute to the future.

Where or what do you see yourself working in the future?

I am trying to begin a career in psychology. I would like to be a psychologist and open my own consulting firm and, in the future study law.

Do you participate from another space / activity in the neighborhood?

I am in a youth group, “Mendero Retoños” which aims at giving scholarly help. We raise awareness among neighbors to encourage them not to throw trash in the streets.

Photo credit: UNICEF Argentina

youth maps Argentina data