Mental illness - It can do much better without the social stigma.

Publicado 18 de julio de 2012 no picture Amreen Khalid Shaikh

no picture Amreen Khalid Shaikh Ver Perfil
Se registró el día 18 de julio de 2012

When someone tells you that he/she is suffering from a coronary disease, his/her child is suffering from pneumonia do we give them a weird look and make them feel uncomfortable ? Do we consider them as social outcasts ? Or advise them to put them up with chains away from the world ? Or do you'll feel ashamed of a family member suffering from the same? Or do we support them and advise them to seek professional help ?

I guess most of us do the latter part. Then WHY do we treat people suffering from mental illnesses so differently than those suffering a physical illness ? Why do we look down upon people suffering from Depression, Schizophrenia, Autism, Mania, Obsessive compulsive disorder etc ? Why can we not support them and encourage them to seek professional help ? Why can't they be a part of our society in the same way the others do ? Why are they deprived of their rights, which by the way are the same as of the people not suffering from mental illness ? Why are they ill-treated ? Why can't we accept our family member suffering from the same ?

Why the hypocrisy ?

Open your mind and look around, we all need to.