Moving Forward through Climate Smart Leaders

Publicado 16 de diciembre de 2013 no picture Achmad

no picture Achmad Ver Perfil
Se registró el día 9 de octubre de 2013

Take Actions with CSL

Take Actions with CSL

The Issue:

Repeated warnings of climate change impacts have obtruded scientists, civil society and indigenous peoples to look for initiatives and solutions. A thousand pace should be taken before a negative impact in the world, more notably global warming due.

Before a solution has been met, we have already suffered the impacts. For instance, floods, droughts, epidemics, diseases, and uncertain climate conditions are negative impacts due to climate change. So, it is very important to understand four of the focuses of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change: Adaptation, Mitigation, Finance and Technology. An effective strategy focusing on four strategies of UNFCCC is by environmental actions. Most of these actions will be very effective and efficient by including children and youth as an agent of change.

Climate Smart Leaders:
In Indonesia, there is a prominent event held by Yayasan Pembangunan Berkelanjutan (YPB) in partnership with BNI and DAAI TV, namely CLIMATE SMART LEADERS (CSL). Climate Smart Leaders is an annual program which encourages adolescent and young people to study in senior high schools to the university level to embody sustainable cities. Why should they achieve sustainable cities? The selected participants come from different cities and regions ranging from Sabang to Merauke of Indonesia, with an abundant and complex environmental problems. The participants are leaders who are tackling climate change and should move forward with creative and innovative projects to help solve these environmental problems in their cities. Environmental problems in each city include forestry, agriculture, fishery, science, pasture, health, and so on. These cases are the challenges for us as the next generation. They are the problems that CSL must face.

Leaders in the program focus on these problems. For instance, Jamaludin, undergraduate student of Tanjungpura University - Kalimantan, attempts to help his city by biofiltration system for household wastes. Raditya Ahmad, undergraduate student of Diponegoro, has helped Jepara’s local people live in coastal areas to establish seaweed park business. I Made, student of SMA N 1 Sumbawa, helped his school and communities to increase awareness by planting trees with simple media from used papers.

The program was held for a week in Bogor Agricultural University (IPB), where all participants received insight and valuable information regarding climate change issues. Smart leaders should not only embed set theories but also apply them in daily activities, especially while they implement them in their projects. In addition, they could acquire an open mind in willingness to change to help settle problems of climate change.

An unforgettable story of each participant was when they met Mr. H. Emil Salim, notable and former Ministry of the Environment, to the Republic Indonesia. Most of them idealized the Environmental Minister of Republic of Indonesia due to his leadership and charismatic ways. We were challenged by Mr. Emil to change and alter the world in Indonesia because we are the leaders of change. We reflected on project theories, and whether they were appropriate with Sustainable Law. It is very interesting because we could make sure that the sustainability of our projects are real or not. Actually, principles of sustainable law for renewable resources, non-renewable resources, and waste will define and determine the quality of humankind live. In the long term, sustainability of a project will be in line with sustainable development as ecological, social and economical aspects to benefit the world mutually.

Participants were able to analyze the long term effects of their projects. The analysis could be done by CLD (Casual Loop Diagram) and BOT (Behavioral Over Time). The analysis helped the participants to think systematically and then to decide and TAKE ACTION. From the above, we believe that the environment is not able to be separated in our realms, but they are relatable. We need the environment. We also believe that we can do anything by loving, and we can love by doing.

youth education Environment climate change actions