OneMinutesJr. Jordan Workshop: Day Three "Filming, Filming, Filming"

Publicado 16 de enero de 2014 no picture theoneminutesjr.

no picture theoneminutesjr. Ver Perfil
Se registró el día 8 de octubre de 2013

Participants make a creative dolly to film during Rosh's shoot in downtown Amman.

Filming, filming, filming. We only filmed 1 video on the 2nd day and have 16 more to film over the next 2 days. So the day starts off with a busy schedule of back to back shoots.

First up is Rosh (19). He emigrated from Iraq in 2003 with his family and has tried hard to keep his spirit and identity. He believes everything has a start and an end, and that you should remain true to yourself no matter where you are. Because of his strong ideas of moving forward, we decided to film him walking towards the camera while explains how he remains true to himself. We film downtown on a busy street, but use a visual trick for extra effects. WATCH it here! http://bit.ly/LjEyDq

Mahmoud (16) feels strongly about child labour, especially as it takes kids away from school and being able to spend time with friends. We film him playing with a friend in multiple settings – on the football field, playing cards, playing video games – but each time the friend disappears, leaving him alone.

Construction is everywhere in Amman right now, and 17-year-old Mohammed lives in a neighborhood that is full of it. Even though there are rules prohibiting construction during the morning and at night, Mohammed says that where he lives, the construction goes on all the time in violation of the rules. The noise is aggravating, so the film will show him trying to stop it.

This idea of patience and the pressure to make the right decisions is one a lot of youth seem to share, regardless of their background. 20-year old Ghassan tries not to let negative things affect him but those around him don’t always support the things he wants to follow. He finds himself faced with choices between what he is most interested in, and what others things are important. His film will place him in front of several life path decisions. Ghassan will try to incorporate his past hobby of free-running into the treatment of his film.

Anas (19) has an interesting story about tradition in his community. Tradition dictates that one respects their elders, but he feels that sometimes the edlers abuse that situation. “If we do something they don’t like, they abuse us,” he says. As much as he’d like to stop that, Anas is ambivalent about changing this tradition. He likes the fact that the new generation will no longer practice the tradition and the abuse has stopped. However, he is sad his culture is changing. It’s a complicated contradiction that many cultures are facing right now. He will take a camera home to film, since he’s not sure if those he wants to film will be comfortable with outsiders.

6-months ago, 20-year-old Baker came from Damascus, Syria to Jordan. He is content with his life, but still gets frustrated when people stereotype here. For instance, when in the market, people hear the Syrian accent and charge higher prices. Even though he has strong ideas about politics (he was studying political science in Damascus University when he had to leave), he also enjoys poetry. He is writing a poem about a date with the wind. He will take the camera home to produce a film accompanying his poem.

Despite having a packed schedule of 10 films on deck to shoot today, we only managed to film 5. It’s good that 2 might be filmed overnight.

youth human rights empowerment refugee oneminutesjr participation youth media #NOlostgeneration