Philippine Public Schools: Rolling in the Deep

Publicado 11 de abril de 2012 no picture Amer Madcasim

no picture Amer Madcasim Ver Perfil
Se registró el día 11 de abril de 2012

The government’s role is to create the utmost quality of education for free. And thus, public schools were built to give Filipino children the learning that they need. Our government creates a huge cluster of schools yearly to virtually every corner in the Philippines. In fact, they have achieved to enroll over 25,700,000 children in the current school year. Moreover, the Department of Education testifies that they have given Filipinos quality education for free as it should be.

However, the somehow quickly deteriorating quality of Public School Curriculum is introducing new problems to the receivers of such. The poorly constructed framework of such curriculum is the main culprit why our human resources aren’t equipped enough to be competent outside or even inside the Philippines.

In the eye of most Filipinos, primary subjects such as Math, Science, and English aren’t enough to give Filipino children the education that they compulsory need. Even though the DepEd insist that they were doing their best to supply the thirst of public education, it isn’t enough to give Filipinos the edge of quality learning. Take the previous curriculum (Marcos’ Proclamation 1102) as an example.

It ought to give children, not just primary or academic training, but also vocational ones such as carpentry, cooking, and even drafting. Subjects of such are rarely seen in public schools and this makes public schools fall short in comparison to private ones. Does that spark sense to you? We clearly need to step up our game with big guns of useful electives like then. With this, it can be assured that Filipino students can garner skills that they can’t receive in our lame, current curriculum. It would give out Filipino children a huge head start in their succeeding education or even their career moreover. Ergo, this solution can also be applied in countries other than the Philippines. In this way, today's youth, nonetheless of his or her nationality, will be more competent and skilled for our fast-changing world.

© Photo courtesy of Josh Weinstein