Promoting our cultures and history

Publicado 22 de mayo de 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY Ver Perfil

I've recently had the opportunity to travel to a number of countries for work, and there is nothing I love more than learning about new cultures.

Not everyone is lucky enough to be able to travel, and many lack access to television or even books to expose themselves to other cultures, their customs and stories. What's more is that in order for you to watch a documentary or read a book about a culture it usually means that someone else needs to have decided that it was worth making a book/documentary about and the process is both time consuming and expensive.

Enter the age of the Internet and self-publishing. I think that blogs and other self-publishing platforms that enable photo and video sharing offer an amazing opportunity for people from all around the world to share stories about their cultures, their histories, food, and languages. And I think that mobile phones will play an even greater role in this - with my iPhone it is possible for me to take photos, write entries and post them to my blog quickly and easily. While the smartphones are still the exception and not the norm, it is a well known fact that phones are getting smarter and cheaper, also in developing countries.

So if you've been thinking about starting a blog I strongly encourage you to talk to your family and see if this is an opportunity for you to document the interesting oral histories or to share your culture's customs with the world.