"Radicalism without rationalism is sheer stupidity"

Publicado 24 de junio de 2011 no picture Gabriel Obodai Torgbor-Ashong

no picture Gabriel Obodai Torgbor-Ashong Ver Perfil
Se registró el día 16 de junio de 2011

A senior research fellow at Legon Centre for International Affairs(LECIA) at the University of Ghana-Legon, Dr. Vladimir Antwi Danso has urged young people to use legitimate and constitutional means to get their concerns addressed,and not through radical means. In his view, "Radicalism without rationalism is sheer stupidity". Dr. Antwi-Danso was addressing young people at a quarterly Youth Colloquium organized by the Children and Youth In Broadcasting-Curious Minds at the British Council in Accra.

Speaking on the theme: "Accelerating Youth Empowerment for a Sustainable Development", Dr. Antwi-Danso said empowerment of youth will position them to promote development and not as agents of destruction instead. He added that with "vibrant,empowered and well informed youth,Africa can overcome".

Present at the colloquium were Mr. Kingsley Obeng-Kyereh,Executive Coordinator of Curious Minds, Mr. Archibald Donkor,National Youth authority, and Dr. Alabo,Director for Africa and Regional Integration Bureau at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs And Regional Integration.Others were students,persons with disabilty,members of Planned Parenthood Association-Ghana(PPAG) and Curious Minds.

In a short message, Mrs. Adwoa Nyanteng Yenyi,a Programmes Officer with PPAG revealed that many young people are in need of Adolescent Sexual and Reproductive Health(ASRH) messages. Yenyi called on stake holders to invest in the education and empowerment of young people since their health and development are directly related to the attainment of the Millennium Development Goals(MDGs) targets.

Mr. Hamza Suhini, President of National Union of Ghana Students(NUGS), stated that there are opportunities for young people, but as to whether those opportunities are being used well is an issue to look at. Mr. Suhini admitted that there are many young people in the various media establishments who are excelling, but their programme content, he said are not young people related. He further said that addressing young people's issues is a collective responsibility which should not be left for government alone. He concluded by saying,"The battle for our development is not for Political Parties,but a battle for young people".

In his closing Remarks, the chairperson for the occasion, Mr. Dennis Ofosu Appiah advised the youth to use the opportunities that come their way well. Mr Appiah, who is also the head at Centre for Constitutional Order added that young people must learn to create opportunities where there seems to be none.

As the programme reached its tail end,participants had the chance to engage guest speakers in some interactions. Some students made it known that the colloquium was impressive. They requested for it to be replicated in other regions. According to them, statements made by guest speakers inspired them.

Photo: Dr. Vladimir Antwi Danso