Reflecting on 2011, the year that was in South Africa.

Publicado 6 de enero de 2012 no picture Mdumiseni Cele

no picture Mdumiseni Cele Ver Perfil
Se registró el día 6 de enero de 2012

By: Mdumiseni Cele

As the year 2011 came to an end, I thought I should take this time and reflect on certain historic events of 2011. Wow what a year.

Some of the biggest stories of 2011 that caught most of South Africans attention was the sacking of public works Minister Gwen Mahlangu-Nkabinde, co operative government minister Sicelo Shiceka and the suspension of national police commissioner General Bheki Cele over the controversial police headquarter lease which cost the state R500m. This came after months of president Zuma being public criticized of being indecisive on this matter. Thanks Msholozi for clearing the air.

Well of course, there were other interesting stories, including the DA which elected Lindiwe Mazibuko as the youngest party leader of the official opposition in parliament, that resulted on her receiving negative comment from one of the DA MP Masizole Mqasela, which publicly said, “it will be a window dressing if Lindiwe were to get out”. It got me thinking does Masizole have a point there? I must confessed, I’m still suspicious as Masizola is, and I don’t think come election her blackness will translate to vote catching as well as the fact that she’s black it will give black people extra reason to vote for the DA. I don’t think it was fair though for Masizole to say,”that just because Lindiwe speaks with a white accent so suggesting that if “you had closed your eyes and head Lindiwe speaks you wouldn’t even know that she’s black” so it better to vote for Athol Trolip. That just a big no broe!

It’s been a tough year indeed. What made it even more tough was the suspension of the ANCYL president Julius Malema and the other leaders who had the sword hung over above their heads. Could this mark the end of Juju’s political career as many political commentator pointed out or is he going to come back? He vows to fight back as he appealed to the available structure of the ANC. Well Juju good luck with your appeal make sure you win or else farming is waiting for you back at home while “tea girl” rise to the top. It's true when they say, politic is a dirty game. The young man once vow to “kill” for Zuma and said in an interview with business day TV, “ if you fight with Zuma you ending your political career” but today he’s the one calling him shower man.

Among other trouble he find himself in, it was the equality court case over the struggle song Ayesaba Amagwala ("The Cowards are scared") and include the publicly singing of the song Dubul’ iBhunu ("Shoot the Boer"), which was regarded as hate speech. An appeal against the ruling that this was the hate speech is under way. Apart from the aboved mentioned they is quite a lot said, by Malema as he also faces other troubles. I will personal call 2011, the Juju year.

How can I get president Zuma to apply his mind when he makes public appointment? In September they was a controversy with regarding the proceeding leading up to the appointment of constitutional court chief justice Mogoeng Mogoeng – after failing an attempt to extend the office of the incumbent, Justice Sandile Ngcobo, who declined the nomination. Oh! I forgot Zuma is no stranger to public criticism infect it seems like he enjoy it. The reason why I’m saying that is because recently he is facing another public criticism a very hush one this time around when the court held that Zuma’s appointment of Menzi Simelani as National Director of Public Prosecution was invalid because he wasn’t “ a fit and proper person to do the job” do your job properly Mr. Zuma.

The Public Protector Thuli Madonsela received higher praised for her work on tackling corruption, in the DA – ruled Midvaal Municipality, pension debacles, of cause that came with lot of public criticism. What I really like is the fact that her investigation wasn’t about the high-profile probes but also ordinary people’s lives in townships.

When you hear the word blue light obviously, the name Humphrey Mmemezi comes to mind, who is the MEC for Gauteng local government and housing. Who knocked off a Johannesburg Youngman Thomas Ferreira, left him critically injured and in a coma. The MEC and Gauteng Premier Nomvula Mokonyane apologized, and publicly promised to cover the costs of the teenager’s medical bills.

This resulted in a Petition against the blue light brigade which was signed by opposition party leaders – the DA’s Helen Zille and the freedom front plus’s Pieter Groenewald. I seriously hope that something will be done about these arrogant MEC’s that think they are above the law.

What a fantastic way to end 2011, with Durban hosting the world great event COP17, which many say was a success and the Climate Talks ended with hope for a new more comprehensive legally binding agreement, while others feel that the impact on dealing with climate change remain as unsolved issue.

International radio producer based in South Africa. celemdu@ovi.com