Service--What is it?

Publicado 1 de noviembre de 2013 no picture Kriyana Reddy

no picture Kriyana Reddy Ver Perfil
Se registró el día 25 de junio de 2013

There are many poor, sick, underprivileged people in the world.

Of course, all of us can say that we knew that. We can say that we saw it on the news one day or that our history teacher was discussing some vague issue in some ambiguous manner with us; but what are we doing about it? Poverty and suffering have a very obvious correlation that we can link with a slew of statistics and data. However, I'm not here to give you that litany of things. I'm here to do and help you do what business, ads and non-profits can't do for you: get up and act.

Disease is so prevalent, especially in sub-Saharan Africa, that we are actually becoming complacent with the idea that "bad things" are happening there. Instead of that, we should be stronger and more affected now than ever. So, I've decided to take the space/ time in this post to detail a plan of things that we should/ could do in order to better help resolve the problem of poverty and disease within our own communities and of course extending to the global mindset, something which is inherent when charity starts at home:

a) Let's stop complaining! One thing we should understand is that no matter what little, petty things may happen to us, there is a child or another human soul which somewhere in the world is going through some torture which he/she does not deserve. It's okay to feel sad or angry, just don't let it get in the way of efficacy and action. Remember, put others before yourself if you are in a position to work and help others.

b) Start small and think big. Projects, services and ventures do not just magically develop overnight. Think about it in terms of your education: did you know how to read before you learned the alphabet? The same way, keep your goals high because it serves as motivation but remember that every kind deed you commit yourself to has a positive consequence somewhere down the road.

c) Educate yourself. There is no use in acknowledging that an issue is prevalent without actually knowing why or how. You don't have to write a book about it; just connect yourself and most importantly, keep yourself abreast of developments in the area (e.g. UN work, UNICEF aid programs, national initiatives).

d) Take a stand. Start helping members of your community because a little work goes a long way. For example, start a canned food drive to help underprivileged members of your neighborhood, or volunteer at a local hospital to help care for patients with AIDS, cancer, whatever it may be; organize small fundraisers within your community to raise money to give to funds like UNICEF or UNAID, perhaps one you are familiar with at home. Give connection to others by writing...on sites like VOY!

e) Lastly, develop a passion. Nothing good comes from banal work and mundane, robotic processes. Whether you focus your efforts on providing education or women's rights, make sure you feel as strongly about it as you do about your own life.

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.- Mahatma Gandhi

children youth Disability human rights peace Environment africa women empowerment aids health men rights poverty disease death