The EU Children of Peace initiative will help children affected by war and conflicts

Publicado 30 de diciembre de 2012 Avatar

Se registró el día 30 de diciembre de 2012

José Manuel Durão Barroso said “Our EU Children of Peace initiative reflects our deep commitment to the cause of peace through a principled human rights agenda.”

The European Union's Nobel Peace prize money will fund four projects and reach out about 23,000 conflict-affected children in the world by providing access to basic education and child-friendly spaces. Thanks to this initiative, about 4,000 Syrian refugee children in camps at the border between Iraq and Syria will be helped, as well as 5,000 Colombian, 11,000 Congolese kids displaced in Eastern Democratic Republic of Congo and refugees in Ethiopia and 3,000 Pakistani children in the conflicted-affected north of the country.

The implementation of the initiative worldwide will be possible thanks to UNICEF that will take over the project in Pakistan, Save the Children and the Norwegian Refugee Council will work with children in DRC and Ethiopia, UNHCR will deliver assistance in Colombia and Ecuador, and ACTED that will be working in Northern Iraq with Syrian children.

The decision to attribute the award money to children affected by conflict was unanimous within the European Commission, the European Parliament and the European Council.

The disastrous situation in Syria and in other countries has shown that children are the most vulnerable victims in conflict areas and that they need to be placed at the center of emergency decisions. By dedicating its money to education and youth empowering, the European Union is reminding us that children of this world are the future and thus preventing them from basic education access is compromising their access to decision-making and leadership.

The EU Initiative is a cross-cutting action around the world that will nonetheless benefit to the most helpless children in the world, but also a tremendous effort from the European Union to put forward its dedication to peace implementation.

Today, 90% of the victims of conflicts are civilians. Half of them are children. Protecting children trapped in violent conflicts is to give them the opportunity to learn again and get good-quality education. Apart from contributing to their development, educational activities provide girls and boys with psychosocial support and help them feeling like children again. Above all, it reveals the necessity to place human rights at the center of every single policymaker.

Learn more about the EU Children of Peace Initiative (http://bit.ly/V4No8W)