The Future World is in Children’s Hands

Publicado 28 de enero de 2014 Avatar Aulia Maharani Karli

Avatar Aulia Maharani Karli Ver Perfil
Se registró el día 25 de julio de 2013

What do children need the most??

Love, respect, to play, to have fun, to be seen, to be listened to, your presence, a hero, a fostered sense of wonder, lots of hugs, to play, the chance to make mistakes, encouragement to try again, room to grow dreams, to be told yes, to be trusted, affection, guidance, to play.

(http://www.growingajeweledrose.com/p/parenting-extras.html)

It’s written on a website, as a guidance for parents with an emphasis for a child’s world to be happy and lovely. But we all know that there are lots of children who can’t get any affection or happiness, because they don’t have a parent or relatives. As youth, we have a big responsibility to build and guide a new generation of our world. They are, children.

There are many ways to define the meaning of children, and we can define it from their age, psychology, physical attributes and even their rights and responsibilities. As written in Wikipedia “Biologically, Children are a human between the stages of birth and puberty. The legal definition of a child generally refers to a minor, otherwise known as a person younger than the age of majority. The child may also describe a relationship with a parent (such as sons and daughters of any age) or, metaphorically, an authority figure, or signify group membership in a clan, tribe, or religion; it can also signify being strongly affected by a specific time, place, or circumstance.”

Let’s make it simple! For me, a child is anyone who has not reached their puberty mass and tend to find more attention from the people around them in every way. At least, that’s what I think from my teaching experiences as a young teacher in about two years. I love children because I simply want to lead and help them be great people, even though I know that I’m no perfect. I spend my time with children almost every weekend. If I have no class to teach, I’d rather go to the marginal places in Jakarta and find any child to talk to. I love to listen to their story and talk about their life. I also love their simple ways and languages to express their feelings.

Spending lots of time with children makes me believe in true love, but it makes me confused at the same time. For me, they are the most precious creatures in this world, but some people are too greedy and steal their happiness. Child Marriage, Child Trafficking, Child Labour and Child Abuse- I can’t understand why some people are too selfish and cruel. I am actually really sad and don’t want to talk about this, but they are the facts. Let’s think about this deeply. They were born to be happy, they were born to grow up, have a dream and build a future. They were born to help us and some people are trying to hurt and steal their happiness? What’s wrong with this world?

I read the newspaper, watch TV and see in real life how some children are trying to survive and help their families. They are working for a number of reasons, and the first one is poverty. Again, poverty is the most common reason parents let their children work. They don’t have a great educational background and they absolutely do not have the professional one. The children are only able to work as a street singer, a car wash person or even a beggar. Sometimes, orphans are employed as a worker with a very hard job like a stonemason, construction laborers and so on. Poverty is also a reason for child marriage. As my previous article entitled “Let’s Talk About Child Marriage” (http://www.voicesofyouth.org/en/posts/let-s-talk-about--child-marriage-), this practice is really bad physically and mentally for children. Anything that is “forced” will always negatively affect those who had been forced, including children forced into child marriages.

Another case is child trafficking, which leads to prostitutions, child abuse and also child labour. Can you imagine a girl with lipstick and high-heels standing in front of a bar, waiting for someone who will give them some money? I’m sorry, I can’t and I don’t want to imagine that. But once more I say, this is the fact. My Sociology lecturer told me about this case and her experience when she did research about this. She said “Sometimes girls are forced to have sex more than once a day even as a teenager. They will be punished if they don't want to.” Different people, from different environments and places, educational backgrounds, and jobs, join all together in a place to steal the happiness of an innocent child. Honestly, it’s really rude and hurtful to me as a girl. I finally realize that it’s not a strange thing if HIV/ AIDS and other diseases spread rapidly in our society.

I admit, I’m not strong enough to walk alone in the middle of a slum and take care of the children or run alone in the middle of a war to take them out of some place. But, I am really grateful because I am still able to share my thoughts about children and share my experiences with my students. We should be really happy because we are living with this heart, “our heart.” The heart that will always guide us to be a better person, to care with each other and happily save the children. Just do a little thing to help them as good as you can, because “The Future World, is in Children’s Hands.”

children jakarta poverty Child Marriage child trafficking