The International Red Cross must have full access to West Papua!

Publicado 9 de mayo de 2012 Avatar Emi Eko Elosak Weko

Avatar Emi Eko Elosak Weko Ver Perfil
Se registró el día 9 de mayo de 2012

Background (Preamble): West Papua is one of the poorest areas in Indonesia where most of the people live at subsistence level with appalling health, welfare and education problems. This despite its vast reserves of copper, gold, oil, gas, and virgin hardwood forests. None of the profit from plundering these resources goes to the people of West Papua. We support the West Papuans in their right to self determination to decide their own future. However, there is an excessively high number of Indonesian troops and military style police (estimates range between 12,000 - 30,000; we are unable to confirm these numbers due to lack of transparency) stationed in this region. There is no open and free access to the country. The Red Cross is an impartial independent organisation with an exclusive humanitarian mission. Since 1949 the Red Cross has had an international mandate conferred on it by the Geneva Conventions, which task the ICRC with visiting prisoners, organising relief operations, re-uniting separated families and similar humanitarian activities during armed conflicts. The Statutes of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement encourage these organisations to undertake similar work in situations of internal violence, where the Geneva Conventions do not apply.

Fuente: http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/international-...

Background (Preamble): West Papua is one of the poorest areas in Indonesia where most of the people live at subsistence level with appalling health, welfare and education problems. This despite its vast reserves of copper, gold, oil, gas, and virgin hardwood forests. None of the profit from plundering these resources goes to the people of West Papua.

We support the West Papuans in their right to self determination to decide their own future. However, there is an excessively high number of Indonesian troops and military style police (estimates range between 12,000 - 30,000; we are unable to confirm these numbers due to lack of transparency) stationed in this region. There is no open and free access to the country.

The Red Cross is an impartial independent organisation with an exclusive humanitarian mission. Since 1949 the Red Cross has had an international mandate conferred on it by the Geneva Conventions, which task the ICRC with visiting prisoners, organising relief operations, re-uniting separated families and similar humanitarian activities during armed conflicts.

The Statutes of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement encourage these organisations to undertake similar work in situations of internal violence, where the Geneva Conventions do not apply.

Source: http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/international-red-cross-access-to-west-papua.html

President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono Istana Merdeka Palace Central Jakarta Indonesia

Dear President,

We the undersigned call on you to allow the International Red Cross full and unfettered access to West Papua.

We understand that the Red Cross was forced to shut its office and leave West Papua in May 2009 after its staff members visited prisoners in jail. An Indonesian Foreign Affairs Ministry spokesman said in August that the Red Cross had no mandate under any bilateral agreements between Indonesia and Australia to re-open a branch office in the province.

For peace in West Papua , there must be transparency and this cannot be achieved if the Red Cross is excluded. We join with other human rights organisations and with parliamentarians in the United Kingdom and Australia who have also called for the Red Cross to be given full access to West Papua.