The JoRio Earth Summit (York+20)

Publicado 8 de junio de 2012 no picture JoRio Earth Summit (York+20)

no picture JoRio Earth Summit (York+20) Ver Perfil
Se registró el día 8 de junio de 2012

http://deliciouslyorkshire.co.uk/uploads/crop_image/260/260/20120517142003_JosephRowntreeEarthSummit.JPG

Source: <>

The JoRio Earth Summit (or York+20) is taking place on the 21st of June at The Joseph Rowntree School, New Earswick, York, UK at 1600-2000hrs GMT. We are a group of sustainable young people from the Joseph Rowntree School, who are running our own " Jo Rio Mini Earth Summit" (or York+20) with the Stockholm Environment Institute (SEI) at York University.We are participating in the My City+20 scheme.

Our main event is taking place on the 21st of June, during the Rio+20 Earth Summit. Through SEI we will have a live video link-up to Rio and we will be delivering a powerful speech on behalf of the children at our school, and children all around the world. We have many activities taking place on the Summit including a "stimulation" debate between young people, local and national MPs and our special guest Adrian Ramsay, the deputy head of the UK Green Party, where we will discuss almost everything environmentally-related, just like in the Rio Summit, a flash mob, a self-written environmental musical, music from all over the world, a dedicated pledge-wall where we invite all the guests to write a pledge about what they will do to improve the environment after the summit and much, much more. We have even invited all the local primary schools and celebrities, MP's, dignitaries and many other people who we think will be able to stand up for our rights as the youth of today, and also looking out for the youth of tomorrow. Before the event itself we are running many other sustainable activities including:

-a drop-down day within our school, on the 12th of June, where we invite young people to take part in a range of environmentally friendly activities including making bikes out of old un-used parts, creating recycled bikes, conducting some research in our local pond and sending the data off to the Natural Science Museum, creating recycled clothes for a recycled fashion show, creating films on saving the planet, doing environmental films and putting on plays on the topic of sustainability.

-Sending a video recording of three questions to the Nobel Laureates from the Earth Summit in Rio, and seeing their answers on the 18th of June!

We are inspired by Severn Suzuki's speech at the Rio conference in 1992, there will of course be speeches from people we have contacted and also from us, the organisers and students!