The Secret Sauce For Awesomeness

Publicado 1 de julio de 2013 no picture Femi Oke

no picture Femi Oke Ver Perfil
Se registró el día 1 de julio de 2013

I’m not really supposed to tell you this because awesomeness is not for everybody, but here’s the secret recipe to being a rock star online.

YOU + Passion + Internet = Awesome

I should know. I get to spend my work days tweeting and surfing the Internet, as I hunt for great stories to share with the world. Some of the very best have come from young netizens like Scottish schoolgirl Martha Payne.

Martha started blogging about her school lunches back in 2012, in a blog called Neverseconds.

Here’s one of her early posts: (see photo 1).

It wasn’t long before kids from around the world began sending her pictures of their school meals, too. Check out this tasty looking lunch from Taiwan: (see photo 2)

Martha created a Food-O-Meter to rate her meals, and now millions of followers check in to see what she's been eating for lunch. She’s also become a powerful campaigner for healthy school lunches for all children around the world, and raises money for the charity Mary’s Meals.

That’s just one story about what something as simple as posting a photograph on a blog can do. How inspiring is that?! I hope Martha’s story has given you some ideas. I can’t wait to see what you have to share with the world. Just remember — YOU + Passion + Internet = Awesome

Femi Oke is an international broadcaster, journalist and writer. She’s currently based in Washington D.C. where she hosts the current affairs show "The Stream" for Al Jazeera English. Online Femi curates for the social media organization Upworthy and blogs at therealfemioke.com. Femi’s work has been recognized by The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), the African Communications Agency and InterAction.. Since the 1980's she has worked for BBC television and radio, all the UK terrestrial television networks, CNN and US public radio. You can reach Femi anytime on Twitter @FemiOke.