The Spread of Polio

Publicado 21 de junio de 2014 Avatar Unitika Schlawenger

Avatar Unitika Schlawenger Ver Perfil
Se registró el día 19 de junio de 2014

Stop Polio Campaign

Stop Polio Campaign

Earlier this month, the WHO issued a travel ban on passengers without a polio vaccination certificate. One of these applied countries was Pakistan, where polio is a spreading problem. I, as a visitor to Pakistan for 2 years, now was to travel back abroad. I followed the news, got an international polio certificate after drinking two polio drops which were to protect me from the spreading disease. The media, and organisations made it look like the polio problem was effectively dealt with. However, I was surprised to find out that no one asked about these certificates at the Allama Iqbal International Airport, Lahore, Pakistan. Yes, there was a counter and one family was already making one there. However, upon reaching the other airport counters, no one asked or even mentioned these certificates. Where was the travel ban or strict monitoring?

I have been confused and worried since then. If someone with polio just travels and spreads the virus else where, wouldn't the whole world be at risk?

The world is now at risk, and it is time some youth voices fix the problem by pointing out such wrong measures.

pakistan polio WHO ENDpolio