This Recommendation OIC to Myanmar Rohingya Problem

Publicado 11 de agosto de 2012 Avatar Nadia Kenyo PD

Avatar Nadia Kenyo PD Ver Perfil
Se registró el día 21 de julio de 2012

REPUBLIKA.CO.ID, JAKARTA - The Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) and Non Governmental Organizations (NGOs) provide recommendations related to the situation in Myanmar after they held a meeting on Friday (3/8) and in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, according to a release received ANTARA.

Recommendations of the meeting consisted of nine points. The first inter-communal violence that is condemned indiscriminately that has erupted in Myanmar and cause the loss of most of their lives and livelihoods, and asked the international community to support and mobilize efforts in Myanmar in accordance with humanitarian principles like impartiality, neutrality, and independence.

The Committee shall perform the following responsibilities, among others, create a special fund for reconstruction and rehabilitation in the region of Arakan under the auspices of the OIC, and create an international media campaign, including social media, to share information about the protracted violence in Myanmar and humanitarian consequences for the minority groups in the country.

The Committee was also in charge of organizing an international conference about the unrest in Myanmar and humanitarian consequences for minorities in the country, in cooperation with other international bodies, and set up a private group of leading international advocate for peace, sustainable solutions to the unrest in Myanmar and humanitarian consequences for minorities in the country

Eighth recommendation, decided to create a social and human development committee, headed by OIC and consists of IHH, WAMY, Qatar Red Crescent, Red Cross, IIRO, Qatar Charity, RAF, Muslim Aid and IICO, to initiate an action plan to address development needs and humanity, and to cooperate with all international humanitarian partners in this regard.

Lastly, the meeting urged the committee to immediately initiate action to address the humanitarian access in the Arakan region, to prepare a comprehensive report on the humanitarian situation and to communicate with the government of neighboring countries in this regard.

OIC held an emergency consultative meeting of humanitarian organizations from various Member States, and in collaboration with Mercy Malaysia and attended by the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) and international humanitarian organizations.

The focus of the meeting discussed the precarious humanitarian situation in Arakan, Myanmar. The participants expressed their opinions and share information about their respective activities to help residents affected by the incident and the difficulties encountered and highlights of humanitarian access in the region.

The meeting was initiated by the Assistant Secretary General for Humanitarian Affairs Atta El-Manan OIC Bakhit, and Yusuf Kalla, the Indonesian Red Cross chairman and former Vice-President of the Republic of Indonesia, and the Arakan Rohingya Union representatives.