Tweet up your mind!

Publicado 19 de septiembre de 2013 no picture Arya Satya Nugraha

no picture Arya Satya Nugraha Ver Perfil
Se registró el día 6 de agosto de 2013

Something to Think About.

Something to Think About.

Social Media Phenomenon: What Could Be Easier Than Speak Up Our Mind?

"Tweet up our mind" could be.

I have attended two schools in two different Asian countries. One is in an emerging country (which happens to be my country of origin) and the other is in an affluent city-state. Students in both schools do not seem eager to speak up in the classroom.

I guess in countries where the olders are so much respected, the likelihood of youngsters becoming silent is higher. Don’t get me wrong, it is alright since different country has different ways of life.

Another common characteristic ties up the nation. It is their craze for Twitter. Are we eligible to say that “tweet up your mind” is the new “speak up your mind?.”

I came across a research that states my hometown, Jakarta (the capital city of Indonesia) as the loudest city on Twitter. Meanwhile, the city-state where I lived in manages to be the 11th loudest city in Twitter's universe. It is far behind my current home town, but still surprising knowing how small the population is and how it surpasses populous cities like Rio de Janeiro.

This question pops up in my mind:

Does tweeting make people in those two cities become more opinionated than before? It takes a whole research to get a comprehensive answer, but based on a mere observation the answer is yes.

In Jakarta, the loudest city in Twitter’s universe, a galore of information is generated through Twitter. Some merely tweets about their day-to-day life, some use Twitter for online marketing, and some others speak up and tweet with a cause.

Try to scroll down any Indonesian’s Twitter timeline. You may encounter what locals call “Kultwit”. The term itself is a portmanteau of kuliah (lecture) and Twitter. In a kultwit, a user (he/she can be an expert in a particular field) shares what s/he knows in a series of tweets. With kultwit, the followers are able to learn something new for free from a person whom they will probably never meet in flesh.

A kultwit-like activity is unlikely happening in a non-cyber life. Suppose that you are in a roomful of people and one of them shouts: “Hey! I know something more about something and I really want you to know that. So would you listen?” You might think that person is a snob if you ever meet a person like that. But on Twitter, it is a different story. No one feels bothered, in fact people enjoy kultwit.

There are also groups of youngsters who use Twitter as a means to disseminate vacancies and scholarship opportunities. Although this trend is quite recent in Indonesia, the number of accounts that do such things is increasing. The number of followers is skyrocketing. That becomes a new business model since a lot of accounts gain trust and act as media partners for offline and real events.

I myself find the accounts are helpful, since they help young people pick up the opportunities that used to be scattered and undiscovered.

Back to the classroom, I remembered my lecturer once said: social media empowers people. Now I know he is completely true. It does change the way we communicate. In another way, it also compensates the opportunity that we have but we don’t use much in the real life. Like… speak up our mind.

education Indonesia social media asia jakarta speak up twitter speak out